Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bleacher Report on football gambling/Tony Bloom

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Somehow somewhere there will be a clampdown on gambling over the net, and possibly generally. Mankind might just end up killing itself whilst betting how long it will have to live.

A Macau gambling den ordering 30 Rolls-Royces is just another symptom, the Chinese are likely to do more to indulge their gambling rather than stop their dreadful contribution to climate change.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I had 50p on a 9 game accumulator Tuesday night, 7 came in, stupidly put Blackpool and Millwall to win, would've won nearly £20,000 - betting is all about luck not stats, well to a mere plumber like me

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Fascinating. I had no idea that Tony Bloom was such a world expert in football betting (I thought he was mainly into poker and property).

Surely he and his team will get it right at The Amex in the long run...? I wouldn't bet against it.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...murky-world-of-professional-football-gambling

For background, author Ed Hawkins is one of the finest and most knowledgeable writers about betting in the business, twice winner of the Sports Betting Journalist of the Year at Sports Journalists' Association awards.

That's a fine piece. I also enjoyed Ed's book on cricket and his regular column. You have to read between the lines sometimes but I took the hint on His thinly veiled 'Lump on England in the last one dayer, its probably bent as there is nothing on it' hint.

I'd love to know what he really knows on the underbelly of cricket. I suspect its fascinating.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For me it does highlight a potential 'conflict of interest', or should that be 'lack of interest'.

That article, as good is it is, has no interview or even first hand accounts.
Confirming our Tony, once again, as a very private man who keeps himself to himself and expects his employees to do the same.

That goes totally against the Premier League, where (ridiculously) I can name the owners/chairmen and they are as much of the story as the players/fans/managers.

I just can't see Tony being comfortable in that environment with a 'secret story' to tell.
He'll be journalistic catnip, in the spot light, eventually having to defend himself if the press think there's a story.

Oh can someone add to this thread the pic of Tony from last season.
The one with him waiting for the train at token northern station with his Albion duffel bag :bowdown:

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
Thank you. That article crystalised a few thoughts I had on TB.

Explains some strange body language given in reaction to a question asked at the NWSS meeting as well.

I'm off to sort out a football algorithm of my own.

:lolol:

Sleaford Seagull

Nov 17, 2010
Sleaford
The same bloke who trudged past me wearing a wooly hat, long coat and backpack in the torrential rain at Doncaster away last year.
I don't care how much money he has, as when it comes to the club, he's proved he spends it well.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Fascinating. I had no idea that Tony Bloom was such a world expert in football betting (I thought he was mainly into poker and property).

Surely he and his team will get it right at The Amex in the long run...? I wouldn't bet against it.

I think one of the main things that made him his money when he sold off his betting sites was his introduction/development of the Asian handicap concept

I did stop reading as soon as we were referred to us as 'premier league wannabes'

As someone with 25 years experience in many role within one of the major operators, I'll happily bore you to tears with the ins and out of a punters arse, if youre paying for the beer.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Did that flag of him as the god father ever get made. If it didn't it really should. Sorry I cant find the thread with the image it.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
A good read

Quants, the people who write the algorithms, usually hold Doctorates in maths, so are ultimo brainy

They are also employed in the financial sectors, including hedge funds, where their programmes might 'own' shares for split seconds, but when done at crazy speeds and millions of times a minute, vast profits acrue

There's a good novel by Robert Harris called 'The Fear Index', that gives a good insight into algorithmic manipulation of stock market dealings, which is probably close to how the football Asian Handicap market is dealt with also

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
That Aussie works 7 or 8 hours and barely sees his family? I sit for 7 to 8 hours in front of a computer screen and see my family plenty!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Superficial, lacking any anecdotes of interest and less informative than Mike Atherton was over 5 years ago.
Here's something they both missed, he didn't just 'Leave for Victor Chandler' he was Victors biggest winning punter so to save his own money and help him improve his business he recruited his foe
This thread does show one trait that is worth noting, how the 'pros' bet on single's and how a 'near miss' 9 fold was simply a losing bet

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here