Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Are you living in a computer simulation?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Cogito ergo sum.

The only thing one can be sure of is that "I" exists, everything else could be an illusion (or simulation)

Yes, but "I", or at least your sense of "I" could simply be clever programming, so that you are nothing more than binary digits. If so, in what sense do you exist? Does the software running NSC "exist"?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Does anyone else find it annoying having these diamonds floating over their heads?

I wouldn't mind but it glowing bright green when I'm trying to sleep is bloody offputting.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Yes, it is. But's what your opinion?

I think it's a possibility but only because it reconciles my thoughts regarding the after-life. My brain cannot comprehend my non-existence. The idea that the lights switch off and there's nothing after death just doesn't sit right with me.

With that in mind I believe we're sort of reset; like a game, going back to your 'save point' (birth). Deja-vu etc is a result of experiencing the same situation in your 'last life'.

Written out all that makes me look like a sodding crack-pot but it's the best I've got.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
I think it's a possibility but only because it reconciles my thoughts regarding the after-life. My brain cannot comprehend my non-existence. The idea that the lights switch off and there's nothing after death just doesn't sit right with me.

With that in mind I believe we're sort of reset; like a game, going back to your 'save point' (birth). Deja-vu etc is a result of experiencing the same situation in your 'last life'.

Written out all that makes me look like a sodding crack-pot but it's the best I've got.

Like a high-tech version of Buddhism.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If I am it's a ZX Spectrum game, without the giant ants.

I want my money back.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'd quite like to be in Better Than Life.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
What is 'outside' of the Universe? :eek:

It's possible that humans could be part of an alien (far advanced species) experiment.

It's just our luck that Earth gets obliterated the year we are sitting top of the Championship table on course for the Premier League. :nono:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Well I do mow the lawn from time to time.

the-lawnmower-man-movie-poster-1992-1020252315.jpg

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
The first question for me has to be "If so, who created the simulation?" The answer is unknowable if we accept that we do live in a simulation. That doesn't help us. What could indicate that we live in a simulation? We would need to be able to comprehend information that signalled this. It is unlikely we could do this, even if it existed. That doesn't help us. I won't go on, because my conclusion is that it is not possible for us to assess whether we are in a simulation or not as we are unable to measure/describe/imagine the difference between a simulation and our current experience of "life". If we cannot define how two things could be different, we are unable to say they are different. Ready for that conclusion to be picked apart by experts....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i'm not, but you all are.

Bit deep for a Thursday afternoon but I see where you are coming from.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

If more people are being born than dying, where have all the extra people come from? Chimps promoted from monkey conference to the human league? Dare we think that? These are the things that dreams are made of.

I'll get me coat.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
If more people are being born than dying, where have all the extra people come from? Chimps promoted from monkey conference to the human league? Dare we think that? These are the things that dreams are made of.

Blimey, so much (Norman) wisdom. My brain feels like it's being boiled...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here