Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Trott "ready" for England comeback

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/29222857?SThisEM

Not if I was a selector he wouldn't be. He let his team down when they needed him most. And before anyone gives me the mental health thing, I suffer from stress related seizures and have also suffered from depression, so whilst I understand that he may have mental health issues, I don't believe that he should be anywhere near the England team right now, and at his age, I can't see any reason why we would want or need him in the future.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Trott off, son.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think I should throw my hat in the ring and say that I'm ready for my England debut.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Does Ballance open ?

If he does I would move him up and bring Trott in at 3

At 24 years old, even if he's opened for Yorkshire, I wouldn't want to move him from 3. As a team we nearly destroyed Root moving him around the order. It is tempting as lets be fair, batting 3 behind Cook and Robson - he's faced a fair amount of the new ball, but I'd like to see some real stability in our test line up ahead of the Ashes.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Balance, Bell, Root and Ali at 3, 4, 5 and 6 is the way forward, they've all shown sufficient quality for the selectors to be committing to that quartet right through to the next Ashes series and, hopefully, beyond.

However, there's a question mark over Robson and his technique, so the only way in for Trott would be as opener with Cook. The bottom line is it doesn't matter how many centuries he scores in county cricket, there's no one setting it down in that competition like Mitchell Johnson.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Balance, Bell, Root and Ali at 3, 4, 5 and 6 is the way forward, they've all shown sufficient quality for the selectors to be committing to that quartet right through to the next Ashes series and, hopefully, beyond.

However, there's a question mark over Robson and his technique, so the only way in for Trott would be as opener with Cook. The bottom line is it doesn't matter how many centuries he scores in county cricket, there's no one setting it down in that competition like Mitchell Johnson.

On occasions this season Jordan has reminded me of Mitchell Johnson but not in a good way

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I have sympathy for Trott (especially if the rumours I heard from someone at Warwickshire CCC were true) The way he batted in the Ashes series when he and Cook dominated the bowling suggests he is far too good to be benched. The question for me isn't 'Is he good enough? but 'Will he tour again? If the answer to the later is yes, I'm sure he will play for England again regardless of the fact our new look batting line up has performed pretty well at test level.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Well no central contract means he won't be touring this winter and we only have 2 tests vs. New Zealand before the next Ashes series starts in July 2015. For him to get back in this side he'll have to get some cricket under his belt over the winter somewhere vs fast bowling, then hit the ground running in the Championship AND hope that one of our Top 6 - probably Robson - is droppable.

If his starts align next May then it would be tempting to bring him back vs New Zealand but a lot of things have fall into place for that to be anywhere near on the cards. The selectors will probably do whatever it takes to win back the Ashes and avenge the 5-0 whitewash, so it COULD happen but I can't see it personally.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Well no central contract means he won't be touring this winter and we only have 2 tests vs. New Zealand before the next Ashes series starts in July 2015. For him to get back in this side he'll have to get some cricket under his belt over the winter somewhere vs fast bowling, then hit the ground running in the Championship AND hope that one of our Top 6 - probably Robson - is droppable.

If his starts align next May then it would be tempting to bring him back vs New Zealand but a lot of things have fall into place for that to be anywhere near on the cards. The selectors will probably do whatever it takes to win back the Ashes and avenge the 5-0 whitewash, so it COULD happen but I can't see it personally.

There are 3 away to the Windies in April.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There are 3 away to the Windies in April.

If, and it's a big if, he plays for England again it will be at home. The management won't want "Fruitcake Meltdown Part 2 - The Return Of Fruitcake" on their hands.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
If, and it's a big if, he plays for England again it will be at home. The management won't want "Fruitcake Meltdown Part 2 - The Return Of Fruitcake" on their hands.

That depends on what's really gone on. It's now widely reported that it was a 'stress related condition' as opposed to 'depression' (and Trott got some stick because of it). If the cause of that stress is no longer there, what's to stop them bringing him back in?

I'd agree with you though, New Zealand would be the obvious chance for him.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
I remember watching that pretty good Sky documentary they did with him recently, and he denied it was a stress related illness. He said that someone else had released that statement, and he just let it fly.
He only claimed to be "whacked and a bit worn out", with absolutely no stress related at all.
I remember him getting a few awkward questions from Ather's about it during the interview, and a right slating from Vaughan too afterwards too.
ps, I do have the upmost sympathy for anyone suffering any kind of mental illness, and this is the only reason I'm not batting at no.3 for England......

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
I remember watching that pretty good Sky documentary they did with him recently, and he denied it was a stress related illness. He said that someone else had released that statement, and he just let it fly.
He only claimed to be "whacked and a bit worn out", with absolutely no stress related illness at all.
I remember him getting a few awkward questions from Ather's about it during the interview, and a right slating from Vaughan too afterwards.
ps, I do have the upmost sympathy for anyone suffering any kind of mental illness, and this is the only reason I'm not batting at no.3 for England......

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

Agree with the first part.

If Robson isn't up to it then Adam Lyth, the Yorkshire opener who averaged 71 this season, deserves a chance ahead of Trott.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
I was a huge Trott fan, his metronomic scoring was the glue that held our batting together, but it's a no from me

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here