Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagulls fans are officially the nicest in the Championship

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1147...lly_the_nicest_in_the_Championship/?ref=var_0

It's official: Seagulls fans are the nicest in the Championship.

The latest Government figures for football related crime show that Brighton and Hove Albion fans were the best behaved last season.

Just five Albion supporters were arrested over the whole 2013-2014 season. It is far less than rivals Leeds United, who had 91 fans arrested.

Only Norwich City in the Premier league had a better record than Albion, with four arrests last season.

During the season only three Seagulls fans were given football banning orders, bringing the total number of fans stopped from attending matches for the most serious hooliganism offences to 17 in total.

Liz Costa of the Albion supporters club said: “I’m so proud of this.

“When you think about the size crowds we get of around 27,000 every match, the proportion of those causing trouble is absolutely tiny.

“We still go to the games and make a hell of a lot of noise but without the nonsense. This is something we’ve been working very hard on over the years.

“In the early days at Withdean there were a lot more protests and the police were called a lot. “But then we had to show there wasn’t any trouble to get planning permission for
“When you give people something nice they want to look after it, so I think having this beautiful stadium is a great incentive.”

Of the five arrests one was at a home game and three were at away games. One was undisclosed.

They were for two allegations of public disorder, one case of missile throwing, one alcohol offence and one case of damaging property.

There were no arrests for more serious violent offences, racism, breaching banning orders or using flares or fireworks.

Only negative is I really wish they would stop asking Liz to speak for us.

paul & shark

Sep 17, 2013
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1147...lly_the_nicest_in_the_Championship/?ref=var_0

It's official: Seagulls fans are the nicest in the Championship.

The latest Government figures for football related crime show that Brighton and Hove Albion fans were the best behaved last season.

Just five Albion supporters were arrested over the whole 2013-2014 season. It is far less than rivals Leeds United, who had 91 fans arrested.

Only Norwich City in the Premier league had a better record than Albion, with four arrests last season.

During the season only three Seagulls fans were given football banning orders, bringing the total number of fans stopped from attending matches for the most serious hooliganism offences to 17 in total.

Liz Costa of the Albion supporters club said: “I’m so proud of this.

“When you think about the size crowds we get of around 27,000 every match, the proportion of those causing trouble is absolutely tiny.

“We still go to the games and make a hell of a lot of noise but without the nonsense. This is something we’ve been working very hard on over the years.

“In the early days at Withdean there were a lot more protests and the police were called a lot. “But then we had to show there wasn’t any trouble to get planning permission for
“When you give people something nice they want to look after it, so I think having this beautiful stadium is a great incentive.”

Of the five arrests one was at a home game and three were at away games. One was undisclosed.

They were for two allegations of public disorder, one case of missile throwing, one alcohol offence and one case of damaging property.

There were no arrests for more serious violent offences, racism, breaching banning orders or using flares or fireworks.

Only negative is I really wish they would stop asking Liz to speak for us.

Be more beneficial to be a cauldron imo

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
This thread is going to turn into a Costafest. I guarantee it.

Diego-Costa-Atletico-Madrid1.jpg

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
i'm surprised our caterers haven't started offering 'tiffin' yet, especially to the the chap in WSL who attends in his Hunter wellies.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I am wondering what Liz has been doing as part of "working hard to achieve this", has she been forcing herself to leave her stanley knife at home? Biting her tongue when the urge to racially abuse someone strikes her? Sitting on her hands to prevent herself from luzzing coins at the opposition? Cutting down her prematch drinking to only 4 pints?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I'd be interested to see where all the championship clubs were for their away arrests...

How do we compare then? Do more or less away fans get arrested at the Amex than the average?

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
Hard to believe really when we have so many stewards at home games. Going by the amount of stewards I've seen on match days I'd have thought we were the worst offenders.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Hard to believe really when we have so many stewards at home games. Going by the amount of stewards I've seen on match days I'd have thought we were the worst offenders.

I was thinking that the presence of lots of stewards may have been a contributing factor to our low numbers of arrests. :shrug:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I know for a fact that at least one of those five arrests was due to Hertfordshire Police being WAY over the top at Watford away.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Yup, but Sussex Police are generally intelligent and sensible, it seems.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here