Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who actually is deciding which players we have

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Since Gus left I am undecided who is actually making the decisions in which players we bring in.
Is it Burke, Barber or Bloom, to be more precise who for example decided to bring in Toko and O'Grady as it was obviously not Sami.
We now hear the story that Oscar wanted to keep Orlandi but was overruled by whom, Burke, Barber, Bloom or the combination of all three.
Are these guys the best qualified to bring in players and why, I would be interested in other peoples view on this.
I understand Blooms input as he signs the cheques but is he a better talent spotter than a large majority of the fans who turn up each week.
What makes Barber or Burke skilled in this area?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Since Gus left I am undecided who is actually making the decisions in which players we bring in.
Is it Burke, Barber or Bloom, to be more precise who for example decided to bring in Toko and O'Grady as it was obviously not Sami.
We now hear the story that Oscar wanted to keep Orlandi but was overruled by whom, Burke, Barber, Bloom or the combination of all three.

Not this thread again!!! but here goes. I'll bite.
- The manager made the decision to sign Toko as it was a signing agreed before end of last season
TB: "We concluded a deal to sign Toko before their season and ours had ended.
http://www1.skysports.com/football/...first-signing-of-summer-midfielder-nzuzi-toko

- Orlandi - we only have Orlandi's view of what happened but the decision to release players in that case was unfortunately not the manager because the manager had left!...We don't know what would have happened if the manager was still here.

- O Grady - The managers final decision. "This is an area we want to strengthen and Chris is a good start."
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/ogrady-signs-for-albion-1767176.aspx

COG started the first few games but if you're thinking that as they're not playing so he can't have agreed on their signing then we have a squad of 24 or so potential first team players. He can't pick them all.
There will always be players that don't make the 18. Currently Walton, Toko, McCourt (who played in the u21s on Monday) and the injured March, Stephens and Agustien.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Not this thread again!!! but here goes. I'll bite.
- The manager made the decision to sign Toko as it was a signing agreed before end of last season
TB: "We concluded a deal to sign Toko before their season and ours had ended.
http://www1.skysports.com/football/...first-signing-of-summer-midfielder-nzuzi-toko

- Orlandi - we only have Orlandi's view of what happened but the decision to release players in that case was unfortunately not the manager because the manager had left!...We don't know what would have happened if the manager was still here.

- O Grady - The managers final decision. "This is an area we want to strengthen and Chris is a good start."
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/ogrady-signs-for-albion-1767176.aspx

COG started the first few games but if you're thinking that as they're not playing so he can't have agreed on their signing then we have a squad of 24 or so potential first team players. He can't pick them all.
There will always be players that don't make the 18. Currently Walton, Toko, McCourt (who played in the u21s on Monday) and the injured March, Stephens and Agustien.

They're hardly conclusive quotes are they? The Toko signing hasn't been said to be garcia's just that it was agreed while Garcia was with us. The o'grady quote again doesn't say he was sami's pick, just that Sami thinks he is a decent start to the strengthening process ie he is still looking for something more in that position - is that because o'grady is the club's choice and he is hoping they will bring in someone he actually wants?

Even if you take them as official claims that the managers do have the key decision (as I believe bloom stated at the fans forum) then you can show as much cynicism to it as you do to orlandi's comments. The club's statement about the process at fans forums or in interviews or the programme aren't legally binding. They can put a bit of spin on things to keep fans happy.

To the thread point. Orlandi says Garcia recommended we keep him, he was leaving and knew it wasn't his place to demand any players be kept. He suggested we should, the club took his comments under advisement and decided he wasn't worth the budget. It isn't worth re-opening this debate over.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Even if you take them as official claims that the managers do have the key decision.

I do .
If Oscar wanted to fight for Orlandi at the club then he shouldn't have resigned and to his credit Oscar has said nothing in public about it so we only have Orlandi's view on it.
Toko's signing was signed when Oscar was still here.

As for the other 10 signings this summer then the club have said over and over that the manager has the final say. You don't believe that or aren't sure. I do. Fair enough. but there's not much more to argue about is there.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The club decides who to recruit and retain. They have to take a view on injury prone players whether to release them or extend a contract. Orlandi and Hoskins fell into the sicknote category.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Are these guys the best qualified to bring in players and why, I would be interested in other peoples view on this.
I understand Blooms input as he signs the cheques but is he a better talent spotter than a large majority of the fans who turn up each week.
What makes Barber or Burke skilled in this area?

As told by someone heavily involved in the recruitment process (& not Burke, barber or Bloom) the manager has the final say in whether a player is signed or not.

As stated on numerous occasions, there is a team who work on potential signings and it's not just the 3 you mention who sit there and pick a name out of the hat and say he'll do as you seem to imply.

Tbh - I'm surprised it taken this long for someone to start banging this broken old drum again just because we have been losing games, some people are just so fickle.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is it not possible that although Oscar weanted to keep Orlandi according to Orlandi, a decision was made based on finance once Oscar had left

Oscar's input rightly ended the moment he quit I would suggest.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I thought that a list of potential players is couriered to Manchester, and then given to a pink haired lady wearing a Shelter bib to make the decision.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Since Gus left ...

why do you assume that it changed when Gus left?

as for skills, while i'm not entirely convinced by Burke's CV, but Barber and Burke have been around in English football a number of years, certainly longer than our current and previous manager. what makes any manager or "director of football" or whatever skilled in this area? just about every manager or director has made a good number of howlers in the transfer market.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

as for skills, while i'm not entirely convinced by Burke's CV, but Barber and Burke have been around in English football a number of years, certainly longer than our current and previous manager. what makes any manager or "director of football" or whatever skilled in this area? just about every manager or director has made a good number of howlers in the transfer market.

I re-listened to the David Burke interviews this afternoon. His CV is better than I remember and what was interesting is that Gus and TB interviewed him for the job together.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I thought that a list of potential players is couriered to Manchester, and then given to a pink haired lady wearing a Shelter bib to make the decision.
Was she at Portman Road last night ? The players were doing their best trying to stick it into Row Z

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton

My take on this part is, that as so many believe the manager has the final say on who comes in, then Gus certainly picked players with a good resale value to join the club. Barnes, Bridcutt, Noone, Dobbie, Buckley and Ulloa must have in my estimation brought into the club around £20 million. I think you would be hard pressed to get 6 players who currently would bring that sort of money to the club. So if the manager does have the final say, then in my opinion n he is not being given the choice of such quality of players that Gus said yes to.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I wonder if this is the most over discussed topic on NSC in recent years.

It's pretty clear how it works...the clue has been in what Bloom, Barber, Burke, Sammi, the scouts and even the media have said on numerous occasions. But no, lets ignore all of that and still think something different.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here