Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just got back

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Gave away another goal but were the better team until then. Second goal was also sloppy. Lua Lua should never play in the middle. Hyypia needs to toughen the resolve of the team.

Forward line get plenty of chances but are not convincing, crying out for a natural goal scorer.

We may be entertaining our way into a relegation battle if we don't soon cut out giving away goals.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Gave away another goal but were the better team until then. Second goal was also sloppy. Lua Lua should never play in the middle. Hyypia needs to toughen the resolve of the team.

I agree with most of your analysis. Tonight was a significantly better all round team performance for 75 minutes until against the run of play we lost concentration on the edge of our own box and got punished with a soft-ish goal. Their second goal was a chance shot that caught Stockdale by surprise and undid the good display he had put in up to that point, including one excellent reflex save.

We had a handful of decent chances earlier in the game but didn't take them. The Ipswich keeper made 3 critical saves. Other than that we didn't quite have the guile to get CMS and Baldock into goal scoring positions.

It was really noticeable just how good virtually every cross thrown across by Ipswich, both aerial and on the ground, created pressure that needed defending, whereas too many of ours were wayward.

Ipswich should have been down to 10 men in the 1st half after Anderson retaliated but the Ref bottled it.

Lua Lua looks bizarre playing midfield. He drifted in and out of the game but did not look comfortable. We were crying out for the trickery of Teixeira and I felt he would be our game changer. It was a waste to give Teixeira only 5 mins when the whole result might have been so different had he been on the pitch for the last 25-30 mins (or even started the game).

Good to see Ince get a start.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thought overall it was reasonable performance and not too downhearted. We looked a lot more solid defensively and CMS and Baldock will cause teams problems. Thought the best player on the field was Ipswich No 3 Mings thd left back, he was superb.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
I thought that the substitution of CMS changed the game - and took it away from us. CMS had just started to get the better of his marker in the previous few minutes, first going on the outside then picking out Baldock going inside, and he had finally developed an understanding with Bruno. His replacement Colunga was anonymous.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I thought that the substitution of CMS changed the game - and took it away from us. CMS had just started to get the better of his marker in the previous few minutes, first going on the outside then picking out Baldock going inside, and he had finally developed an understanding with Bruno. His replacement Colunga was anonymous.

Yes I agree. CMS was having a good game and getting better. I often think our managers (past 3) run out of ideas and just take CMS off for whoever is on the bench at about 70 min. I think CMS's work rate is higher than any other and when denfences tire, he's always around to nick a goal.
I'm sure we'll lose him to someone else when his contract is up, then he'll come back to the Amex and score a winner against us. You know it will happen.
On another note, LuaLua in the middles doesn't work, our crosses are nowhere near good enough, our full backs are leaving too much space behind and defensively they never block a cross.
The attacking football is great, but you can't play with fullbacks as wingers without 3 at the back or a defence with pace. It's not working. I hope for ours and the managers sake that he changes it. Just the formation and not the attacking. It only needs a bit if tweaking. Sort it and stop playing LuaLua in the middle and taking off strikers for no reason.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I agree with most of your analysis. Tonight was a significantly better all round team performance for 75 minutes until against the run of play we lost concentration on the edge of our own box and got punished with a soft-ish goal. Their second goal was a chance shot that caught Stockdale by surprise and undid the good display he had put in up to that point, including one excellent reflex save.

We had a handful of decent chances earlier in the game but didn't take them. The Ipswich keeper made 3 critical saves. Other than that we didn't quite have the guile to get CMS and Baldock into goal scoring positions.

It was really noticeable just how good virtually every cross thrown across by Ipswich, both aerial and on the ground, created pressure that needed defending, whereas too many of ours were wayward.

Ipswich should have been down to 10 men in the 1st half after Anderson retaliated but the Ref bottled it.

Lua Lua looks bizarre playing midfield. He drifted in and out of the game but did not look comfortable. We were crying out for the trickery of Teixeira and I felt he would be our game changer. It was a waste to give Teixeira only 5 mins when the whole result might have been so different had he been on the pitch for the last 25-30 mins (or even started the game).

Pretty much agree with all of that. I had been enjoying the game until the first goal. That lack of concentration that allowed the initial cross to come in was incredibly frustrating as I thought we had played well until that point.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I only saw the second half on the stream (although I turned off after 88 minutes), and agree with your analysis. The only thing I'd add is Baldock was culpable for their first goal, with a horribly clumsy touch that gifted possession back to them (when we had the opportunity for a counter-attack) -- and this wasn't his only poor first touch in the game.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
We need to stop this belief that we 'were the better team'. From where I was sitting we lacked a touch, relied on hoofing it into space, kept taking panicked pot-shots from 25 yards and couldn't beat the first man on crosses etc. Ipswich, although not brilliant, closed us down and had structure, especially when defending. We were never the better team.

. . . . . in my opinion . . . . . :)

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
I would also add a lot of Stockdale's goal kicks and quick passes were shocking and put unnecessarily on the back foot.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here