Ipswich 2 - 0 Albion

Total-
Points = 7
Goals Scored = 6
Goals Against = 7

Points after 7 games-
2013/14 = 9
2014/15 = 7

So, in review against the same teams, we scored more and conceded less under oscar in turn gaining more points under him. The stats aren't looking good at the moment for Sami BUT we have to give him at least a season in charge to see how he fully implements his system.

P.S. Come on guys, you can't genuinely be thinking we'll be in threat of relegation!?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Unfair to compare results as those came at different times of the season, more time to settle in etc.
However, I would have Oscar back without hesitation

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Nothing against Oscar but I prefer Sami.

& making any kind of judgement after so few games is foolish.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Oscars football was so bloody dull.

Give me what Sami is trying to implement any day of the week over last seasons efforts

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
I liked Oscar and - heresy coming here - I actually enjoyed the football we played under him. He could have taken us to mid-table Premiership if he had had a dressing room purged of Poyet poison, fit players and given himself time. He's going to turn out to be the great 'what could have been' of Albion history. But we've got Sami now, i like what he is trying to do, he gets my support and - if nothing else - we're back on the Albion roller coaster where we secretly love to be. Sami IN!

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Completely different teams. Oscar had the squad that Gus guided to 4th, bar Bridge.

Sami doesn't have Ulloa, or Bridcutt, or Buckley, or Ward, or Upson.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Oscar had to make do with players that were not of his choice and managed to get us into the playoffs. Hyypia has been able to buy players to suit how he wants to play. I'd have preferred it to have been Oscar who had that luxury as I think he may have done it better in the long run. It may not have been as exciting but we were not being opened up with such ease either.

Oscar for me but I am quite enjoying the games under Hyypia however I don't think he's much of a tactician and will ultimately fail. Another great player who will not make a very good manager imo.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Here are a few stats:-

Albion 1 - 1 Sheffield Wednesday
Birmingham City 0 - 1 Albion
Leeds United 2 - 1 Albion
Albion 3 - 1 Bolton
Albion 3-0 Charlton
Ipswich 2 - 0 Albion

Total-
Points = 10
Goals Scored = 9
Goals Against = 6

Albion 0 - 1 Sheffield Wednesday
Birmingham City 1 - 0 Albion
Leeds United 0 - 2 Albion
Albion 2 - 1 Bolton
Albion 2 - 2 Charlton
Ipswich 2 - 0 Albion

Total-
Points = 7
Goals Scored = 6
Goals Against = 7

Points after 7 games-
2013/14 = 9
2014/15 = 7

So, in review against the same teams, we scored more and conceded less under oscar in turn gaining more points under him. The stats aren't looking good at the moment for Sami BUT we have to give him at least a season in charge to see how he fully implements his system.

P.S. Come on guys, you can't genuinely be thinking we'll be in threat of relegation!?

Oscar walked out at the end of the season, didn't want to be here. Sami wants to be here, Sami wins.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Completely different teams. Oscar had the squad that Gus guided to 4th, bar Bridge.

Sami doesn't have Ulloa, or Bridcutt, or Buckley, or Ward, or Upson.

Sami doesn't have disgruntled players looking to find an out or a massive injury list and only one fit striker ( who was out for a few weeks too). You make it sound like he was handed a great settled squad on a plate :rolleyes:

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Rather than results against specific teams (which, as pointed out, came at different points in the season for Garcia), what about the opening seven games?

Garcia 13/14
Leeds United 2–1 Albion
Albion 1–2 Derby
Birmingham 0–1 Albion
Albion 2–0 Burnley
Albion 1–1 Millwall
Reading 0–0 Albion
QPR 0-0 Albion

Points = 9
Goals Scored = 6
Goals Against = 5

Hyypia 14/15
Albion 0 - 1 Sheffield Wednesday
Birmingham City 1 - 0 Albion
Leeds United 0 - 2 Albion
Albion 2 - 1 Bolton
Albion 2 - 2 Charlton
Brentford 3 - 2 Albion
Ipswich 2 - 0 Albion

Points = 7
Goals Scored = 8
Goals Against = 10

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
At what point do we wake up and realise a relegation battle is a distinct possibility ?

If the results don't improve by October ? , November ?, December ? ???

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
At what point do we wake up and realise a relegation battle is a distinct possibility ?

If the results don't improve by October ? , November ?, December ? ???

End of the January transfer window is when we will know. It's unlikely but at the moment we could still go up as Champions with over 100 points. By the same token to suggest that we are relegation bound is equally silly.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Oscar didn't quite have Gus's squad in terms of availability or contributions. He didn't have key 2012/13 players like Bridcutt, Barnes, Lopez, Orlandi, CMS, the under rated Hammond or Buckley who were either injured, sold or out of form for part or much of 2013/14. Even Ulloa was unavailable for several months.

seagulls99

Feb 10, 2012
Oscar walked out at the end of the season, didn't want to be here. Sami wants to be here, Sami wins.

Based on that, i'm not sure sami does win- I seem to remember him stating in an interview with a paper that he was keen to stress this was his ONLY option so decided to take it. He didn't choose us over many others, if any.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

To be fair, if you were in the same position as Oscar, and had an inkling as to what was ahead, I doubt I'd have been too happy.

We lost our best players (Ulloa, Buckley, Bridcutt, Upson), and replaced them with players who are a) unproven in this league, or b) far inferior quality. I'd imagine, in Oscars case, he was told the expectation was the Play-offs if he were to stay. As we are seeing, that doesn't look realistic.

He didn't know about it at the time, but the job he's inherited at Watford gives him a far better chance of getting a side out of the division.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Sami doesn't have disgruntled players looking to find an out or a massive injury list and only one fit striker ( who was out for a few weeks too). You make it sound like he was handed a great settled squad on a plate :rolleyes:

With the exception of Bridcutt, it wasn't that disgruntled a squad. Oscar inherited a stronger squad than Sami, no doubt about it IMO. Given how many players we've had to bring in during the last moth and what we started with in our first two games, Sami needs to be given time.

In terms of the thread, Sami every time, because at least the football is exciting. Personally preferred Poyet over both of them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here