Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hyypia head-to-head with managerial veteran McCarthy [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Albion boss Sami Hyypia would love to get the better of Mick McCarthy at Ipswich tonight.
Hyypia has nothing against McCarthy, far from it.
The 40-year-old Finn has great admiration for his fellow former centre-half and maturer member of the manager's union.
McCarthy, 55, has guided Sunderland and Wolves to promotion to the Premier League during a 22-year career in the technical area.
Hyypia, a playing target for McCarthy at Wolves after he finished at Liverpool and a managerial novice by comparison, would derive extra satisfaction from a victory over somebody with the experience and nous of the ex-Republic of Ireland chief.
Hyypia told The Argus: "He is a very good manager and he has showed for years that he can do a good job. The experience to have done it before and the experience of managing in the Premier League I think helps him a lot today as well.
"It's a game of 90 minutes and we'll go head-to-head and it really doesn't matter for me who is on the opposite side, I want to win.
"And, of course, when you win against these experienced guys that's a great feeling.
"It will be a tough game. We'll need to defend a little bit better than we did at Brentford."
Albion will also need to be aware of a well-drilled, high-octane approach from McCarthy's Ipswich.
They beat Millwall, where he cut his managerial teeth, 2-0 at Portman Road on Saturday, to end a five-match winless sequence including a Capital One Cup exit at Crawley and move a point and three places above Albion in the early table.
Hyypia said: "I think his teams usually like to press the opposition and I would think that, being en ex-centre back, that organisation is very important for him.
"And from what I have seen of his teams in the past they play at a high tempo, so that is one thing we are going to face and we are going to face strong players in one-against-one situations. We need to cope with that."
How The Managers Compare
Sami Hyypia Matches: 100
Wins: 54 Draws: 16 Defeats: 30
Win percentage: 54 (Hyypia shared managerial duties for part of his time at Bayer Leverkusen with Sascha Lewandowksi)
Mick McCarthy Matches: 778
Wins: 305 Draws: 207 Defeats: 266
Win percentage: 39.2

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here