Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Managers and players' most preposterous cliches, idioms and contradictions

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Sick parrots and moon jumping are almost 'old-school' these days.

But don't despair, there is a new generation of managerial misnomers and madcap mumblings.

I'm going to kick off proceedings with one of my contemporary favourites (as spouted by Steve McClaren only today).

"We don't look at the league table."

Cue bedlam in the Derby dressing room as a reservist, face beaming with arms stretched out by a copy of a red-top (but blissfully unaware of SM's policy) is wrestled to the floor by his club-mates. Followed by cries of 'No, no, WE DON'T WANT TO KNOW! What were you thinking....man???'

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
"I didn't see the incident from where I was standing"

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
'I don't want to criticise the referee'

Used by managers who absolutely do want to criticise the ref to ensure there's a scapegoat for the team's poor performance other than themselves, but fear the ramifications of doing so. This way, the unsaid 'but...', should provide a bit of leeway.

Genuine issues with refereeing can be identified by managers giving not a toss about ramifications immediately post-match, and saying so.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
'I don't want to criticise the referee'

Used by managers who absolutely do want to criticise the ref to ensure there's a scapegoat for the team's poor performance other than themselves, but fear the ramifications of doing so. This way, the unsaid 'but...', should provide a bit of leeway.

Genuine issues with refereeing can be identified by managers giving not a toss about ramifications immediately post-match, and saying so.

Absolutely this. See also that hideous general modern idiom 'I'm not being funny', the translation of which is you are, completely, but not funny ha ha.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
"We'd have taken the draw before kick off"

Not if someone offered you the win you wouldn't....

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
'There was contact and so he was fully justified in performing a triple salco with pike'

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
'Left it all on the pitch'

Lies. They walked off.

From a material point of view (no pun intended) they're all fully clothed, physically, they're all alive, which leads me to think that they could have put more in.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"One we've crossed that white line..." - in other words, fill our heads with all the tactics and motivational speeches you want before kickoff, but frankly, its in one ear and out the other.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
" My player told me that there was contact and that's good enough for me " ( clearly a dive and the manager knows it )
" Anyone can beat anyone else in this division " ( ..yeah but some win more than others )
" This club is just waiting to take off " ( Yes mate, but not under your management! )
" We paid them too much respect early doors " (..they were all over us, won the game in the first 30 mins and then coasted to victory )
" If we had put that early chance away it could have been a different game " ( ...hello...you lost 4-0...do you honestly believe that? )

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
One game I advocate at the moment is to drink every time someone says "in the final third"

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Meaningless words or phrases inserted because the brain can't move as fast as the tongue. It used to be "Yer know" three times per sentence. Now it's "Football club" - geez, if you're talking about ManU, Arsenal or the Albion or whatever, we know it's a ruddy football club!

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
What about players going for the 'second ball'?!?! I can only see one!

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
"Despite the (heavy) defeat, I'm very proud of my players"

(I'm petrified they will turn on me unless I patronise them)

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
"The ball is round and there are two goals", Kazimierz Górski.

"There are no weak teams in Europe anymore", every Ekstraklasa manager before a European competition game against a team from Malta, Liechtenstein or Faroe Islands.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here