Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton mum looks for perfect bone marrow match

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No need for her or The Argus to look the hospital have access to the Anthony Nolan Trust which operates in 6 countries
This us just sensationalism by the paper. The hospital will not test anybody as it is too expensive and takes 2 - 3 weeks to obtain the results under normal circumstances and the chance of success is very low. My grand daughter has just had it done and when tested her mum and dad had a 25% each of either being a match and her brothers and sister less than 1%. Before anybody wishes to contradict the figures I dont know anc am repeating what The Royal Marsden tokd us when family members volunteered to be donors. Apparently the AN trust has a databank of approx 3m. Keira donor was a 29 year old non smoking, non drinking athlete who wished to remain anonymous.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No need for her or The Argus to look the hospital have access to the Anthony Nolan Trust which operates in 6 countries
This us just sensationalism by the paper. The hospital will not test anybody as it is too expensive and takes 2 - 3 weeks to obtain the results under normal circumstances and the chance of success is very low. My grand daughter has just had it done and when tested her mum and dad had a 25% each of either being a match and her brothers and sister less than 1%. Before anybody wishes to contradict the figures I dont know anc am repeating what The Royal Marsden tokd us when family members volunteered to be donors. Apparently the AN trust has a databank of approx 3m. Keira donor was a 29 year old non smoking, non drinking athlete who wished to remain anonymous.

Best wishes for her speedy and full recovery. :thumbsup:

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

BG it would be very easy to take this the wrong way, in fact I probably have done. Your grand daughter is very fortunate indeed, as was a good friend of mine. Anthony Nolan is a bloody brilliant charity, which does some truly amazing life saving work, but this lady needs an almost perfect match, as her body has already rejected a close match. She has a very unusual ethnic mix, which means that it is extremely difficult to find such a match. These appeals are two fold, yes it would be great to be able to help someone you have heard about, but by registering, as a donor, which is a simple and painless process, you might just be able to save someone's life now or in the future.

Your post could be interpreted as telling people not to bother, whereas anyone between 16-30 who hasn't registered, really should take a few moments, to do something which could be a lifesaver.

http://www.anthonynolan.org/8-ways-you-could-save-life/donate-your-stem-cells/get-your-friends-join-our-register

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
BG it would be very easy to take this the wrong way, in fact I probably have done. Your grand daughter is very fortunate indeed, as was a good friend of mine. Anthony Nolan is a bloody brilliant charity, which does some truly amazing life saving work, but this lady needs an almost perfect match, as her body has already rejected a close match. She has a very unusual ethnic mix, which means that it is extremely difficult to find such a match. These appeals are two fold, yes it would be great to be able to help someone you have heard about, but by registering, as a donor, which is a simple and painless process, you might just be able to save someone's life now or in the future.

Your post could be interpreted as telling people not to bother, whereas anyone between 16-30 who hasn't registered, really should take a few moments, to do something which could be a lifesaver.

http://www.anthonynolan.org/8-ways-you-could-save-life/donate-your-stem-cells/get-your-friends-join-our-register

This. Because it's correct & to bump the thread. One person stopping to think could make all the difference

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sorry if it lead to confusion but the paper story gave the impression that you or I could just go to the doctor and 10 mins later say ok we will do it. As you and I know this isnt the case as the chance of a 100% match is very small so it may take thousands perhaps millions to find a match so it needs everybody to individually to go to their GP and be tested and their results entered on the data bank. For what it takes I would urge everybody to contact their GP and if their history is satisfactory be tested but it doesnt happen immediately.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Sorry if it lead to confusion but the paper story gave the impression that you or I could just go to the doctor and 10 mins later say ok we will do it. As you and I know this isnt the case as the chance of a 100% match is very small so it may take thousands perhaps millions to find a match so it needs everybody to individually to go to their GP and be tested and their results entered on the data bank. For what it takes I would urge everybody to contact their GP and if their history is satisfactory be tested but it doesnt happen immediately.

My eldest who is 17 signed up via the Anthony Nolan Website, they sent him a swab kit in the post, which he did himself and posted it back to them. Probably a lot less hassle than going to the doctor. When I signed up many years ago, it was a blood test, but things have moved on rapidly.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
my father is a weekly recipient of blood and platelets in order to lengthen what little time he has left due to contracting both types of leukemia I already give blood, but now need to register myself as a possible donor on the database. dad was unable to receive treatment due to severity etc, but if it saves one other person what we are all going through now, it can only be a positive.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
I am setting up a support group for Leukaemia in Brighton for sufferers, friends, and relatives. I have the support of Leukaemia CARE and the RSCH, as there isn't one. I had chemo there last year and the Haematology Dept is fantastic. If anyone would like to attend or is interested please PM me. It will probably be one evening a month and definitely not on a Tuesday.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here