Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion keeper relishing return to Ipswich [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
David Stockdale returns to Ipswich tonight confident Albion can get back on track following the "dismal" defeat at Brentford.
Portman Road is familiar territory for the keeper as the Seagulls attempt to recover from their first setback in five matches in West London at the weekend.
Stockdale played 18 games for Ipswich on loan from Fulham at the start of the 2011-12 season, when they were managed by Paul Jewell.
His spell included a 3-1 home win against Albion, featuring current team-mates Gordon Greer, Inigo Calderon and Craig Mackail-Smith plus a goal from Vicente.
Stockdale told The Argus: "I really enjoyed my time at Ipswich. The fans, like here, welcomed me in and I actually thrived there for a little bit.
"I had some good times. It will be nice going back there.
"I was at the start of a new contract at Fulham, so it was more about getting games.
"I got called back early as well. I was meant to be there for a year, did well and enjoyed it.
"I lived there with my family. It was a nice place to live, so I always keep an eye out on them."
It was not a pretty sight for Stockdale at Griffin Park on Saturday as Albion leaked three goals in a game for the first time under Sami Hyypia.
The 28-year-old Yorkshireman admitted: "It was a bit dismal from all of us.
"The first half was not good enough, not to the standards we are used to.
"If you go back to Leeds (won 2-0) you try to hit those standards and we were nowhere near that.
"We know what we have got to do. The only positives we can take out of it are good character again, trying to come back.
"It's a long season and we are going to lose games. Brentford deserve credit for the way they played."
It has been a curious start for Stockdale to his Albion career.
He has not been very busy. Significant saves are hard to recall and yet the Seagulls have conceded seven times in their last three outings after a tight record early on.
A return to the shut-outs achieved against Cheltenham and Leeds would guarantee something from the trip to Suffolk as Hyypia's new-look squad try to establish their Championship promotion credentials.
Stockdale said: "Clean sheets are always nice but we can't dwell on these things. We have to look at the bigger picture and that's promotion.
"I'm sure we'll keep fighting towards that and if we reach the standards that we are used to then I don't think we will be too far away."

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here