Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Multiple Votes are ON

last batch of qualifying groups

138 bands nominated in total

Time to eliminate the unworthy

TOP 6 voted Bands in this qualifying group will progress to the Finals Proper

Last edited:

The Stone Roses presence has no doubt been done to death but surely the 80's is more descriptive of a genre than the name of a decade. Apart from the usual 'experts' on here how many had actually heard them in the 80's? (although about 150 people on here claimed to be one of the 28 or so that saw 'that gig' at The Escape) It wasn't until Gazza cried his eyes out that most were listening to the self titled album and buying the back catalogue. Although one of the greatest bands of all time (IMO) I won't be voting for them. (Same post applies to 'the greatest', The Happy Mondays)

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
The Stone Roses presence has no doubt been done to death but surely the 80's is more descriptive of a genre than the name of a decade. Apart from the usual 'experts' on here how many had actually heard them in the 80's?

Seeing as the debut album was one of the biggest selling albums of 1989 and Fool's Gold was a massive hit single in 1989, I'm guessing quite a few would have known them in the 1980s...

Seeing as the debut album was one of the biggest selling albums of 1989 and Fool's Gold was a massive hit single in 1989, I'm guessing quite a few would have known them in the 1980s...

I appear to dispute that but I'm not really, the 80's is peppered with poppy acts Heaven 17' Soft Cell, Human League, Jimmy The Hoover, etc etc etc, 1989 changed all that thankfully and set up 'The 90's' nicely.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I appear to dispute that but I'm not really, the 80's is peppered with poppy acts Heaven 17' Soft Cell, Human League, Jimmy The Hoover, etc etc etc, 1989 changed all that thankfully and set up 'The 90's' nicely.

For the record, I was musically aware throughout the 80s, but have no recollection whatsoever of any Jimmy the Hoover. Either he/they passed me right by at the time, or I've blotted them from my memory...

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
The Stone Roses presence has no doubt been done to death but surely the 80's is more descriptive of a genre than the name of a decade. Apart from the usual 'experts' on here how many had actually heard them in the 80's? (although about 150 people on here claimed to be one of the 28 or so that saw 'that gig' at The Escape) It wasn't until Gazza cried his eyes out that most were listening to the self titled album and buying the back catalogue. Although one of the greatest bands of all time (IMO) I won't be voting for them. (Same post applies to 'the greatest', The Happy Mondays)

I saw them at a pub in Islington and I was promoting the ICA rock weeks at the time so I put them on at the ICA - great gig.

For the record, I was musically aware throughout the 80s, but have no recollection whatsoever of any Jimmy the Hoover. Either he/they passed me right by at the time, or I've blotted them from my memory...

It was FA cup year so most of us had other things on our mind, I can't get a link but there is plenty of evidence on YouTube inc a TOTP appearance of Tantalise, it's to your credit you havent heard it, it's shlt

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
It was FA cup year so most of us had other things on our mind, I can't get a link but there is plenty of evidence on YouTube inc a TOTP appearance of Tantalise, it's to your credit you havent heard it, it's shlt

I remember this song vividly - most likely because of the way "Jimmy" played the keyboard in a guitar-like way. I think it was red. I still find myself humming the tune from time to time.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

...And the Mondays had released TWO albums in the eighties. Bummed was huge, after which a lot of people including myself revisited Squirrel and G Man. You can't say bands don't count just because they released their best stuff towards the end of the decade in question.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
its downright odd to be honest

All adds to the fun. How did you decide what order to put the bands in? Is it done by how many people nominated them, or by who you thought would probably go through? I'm asking because there is a marked trend in most (maybe all?) qualifying groups of the top-named bands having the most votes, and the bottom-named names having fewest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here