Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Doctor admits to sexual abuse of child cancer patients in Addenbrooke's Hospital

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
When will it end ?

Well, it won't, will it? I never understand this reaction to man's (and usually it is man's) inhumanity to his fellow man, woman and child. There is something innate in our nature that leads people to do terrible things, whether it be abusing children, brutally executing innocent people and filming it, or arranging for the industrial slaughter of millions of people based solely on their ethnicity or religion. It also makes me laugh when our leaders make pronouncements about such occurences being absolutely shockiing. Really, there was me thinking it was a little light humour.

But we also have capacity for such great generosity and altruism. Eg, the guy who got Ebola, is better now, and is heading back to Africa, to carry on working.

It is the human condition. Live with it. And this argument validates neither complete communism nor winner takes all capitalism.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes...it has been going on for years. Aside of abuse within the home, which apparently is still widespread, these individuals have infiltrated every area of life involving contact with young children.
Education, the Church, youth clubs and social clubs, care homes, sports clubs, the Scout and Guide movements...etc etc etc....the list is endless. They are always the friendly and willing volunteer, always prepared to stay that bit longer with the kids. Always willing to help out with transport, always willing to go that extra mile. Gratefully accepted by organisers and employers used to apathy and disinclination to help amongst most adults. They are prepared to spend weeks, months and years building up trust. They work themselves into positions of responsibility until they are almost untouchable.
They are cunning, manipulative and sickening and every effort should be made to expose them. They are committing the most heinous offence known to man. The abuse of a child inflicts lifelong damage and leaves scars that never heal.
To me, they have forfeited the right to take their place in normal society and should be removed from it. In the absence of the death penalty, they should be incarcerated for the rest of their natural but sadly, lenient sentences are often handed out by the judiciary, who appear to show sympathy on some occasions.
What is it in our society that breeds this perversion and why is it almost always men involved? Why do so many offenders come from privileged backgrounds? Private and public school education, followed by a career path in the upper echelons of society. These men, often educated in single sex environments, carry the burden of sexual perversion through their lives. Yes, I know offenders come from all walks of life but there does seem to be a pattern amongst certain social classes.
I don't know the answer. I just know that it is wrong and it disgusts me.

Good post. It's still only a tiny minority of the population that act in this way....hopefully the degree of publicity these things are now getting will mean a much greater awareness and willingness to report it will result. This one really is about as low as a human can get though and I sincerely hope the proverbial book is thrown at him.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Yeah, let's get out all those stereotypes. It's so much safer than racism or homophobia.

The difference being that the religious route to child abuse is a very much proven link. I would go so far as to say it is a fact rather than a stereotype

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I have a few questions though:

a) Why on earth was he allowed bail? There is nothing to suggest that he stopped by his own free will so what is there to suggest he isn't a risk to the public?
b) What is he sorry for? The fact he got caught is all I can assume as if he was truly sorry for doing it, surely he would have stopped a hell of a lot earlier?

To me sexual abuse is the most disgusting of all crimes and in my eyes he should either come to some form of horrible demise or be jailed for life with no chance of parole. However I would assume he would probably get about 8-10 years which ultimately is pathetic seeing as the people he abused will suffer for the rest of their lives. Rant over.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

a) Why on earth was he allowed bail? There is nothing to suggest that he stopped by his own free will so what is there to suggest he isn't a risk to the public?
b) What is he sorry for? The fact he got caught is all I can assume as if he was truly sorry for doing it, surely he would have stopped a hell of a lot earlier?

To me sexual abuse is the most disgusting of all crimes and in my eyes he should either come to some form of horrible demise or be jailed for life with no chance of parole. However I would assume he would probably get about 8-10 years which ultimately is pathetic seeing as the people he abused will suffer for the rest of their lives. Rant over.

Fair points.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
There are no words that can describe how horrible this is.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010

This is my very point about the level of leniency showed to these individuals. It is abhorrent that they are allowed back into society after a relatively short period of time and potentially into a situation to re-offend. Serious questions should be asked about members of the judiciary who make these decisions.

Tommy Tradlles

Aug 22, 2014
Chichester
The difference being that the religious route to child abuse is a very much proven link. I would go so far as to say it is a fact rather than a stereotype

No it is a stereotype. There are contributors to this board who like to criticise Catholics in particular and religion in general even if its not relevant to the OP.

gregbrighton

Aug 10, 2014
Brighton
So, what, all Catholics are Paedophiles or something?

It is not only Catholic priests who have abused children, Church of England clergy have been doing it too. It's been sickening the number of convictions and allegations in the diocese of Chichester (which covers most of Sussex) in recent years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19425149
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/nov/13/bishops-peter-ball-arrest-chichester-child-abuse

The Christian Church clearly needs tighter controls and better protection policies to prevent paedopniles from accessing children through it's organisations.

Tommy Tradlles

Aug 22, 2014
Chichester
It is not only Catholic priests who have abused children, Church of England clergy have been doing it too. It's been sickening the number of convictions and allegations in the diocese of Chichester (which covers most of Sussex) in recent years.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2012/nov/13/bishops-peter-ball-arrest-chichester-child-abuse

The Christian Church clearly needs tighter controls and better protection policies to prevent paedopniles from accessing children through it's organisations.

What has this got to do with abuse of children in a hospital?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
So, what, all Catholics are Paedophiles or something?

No, I don't think so but you can't ignore the extent of child abuse within the catholic church. The catholic hierarchy have tried to so far but even they can't continue to ignore it.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

Agreed. It's not just the Catholics, although they have a pretty steady record in this regard. It's not just Christian religion either, plenty of practicing muslims too - although I've not heard of a similar problem in mosques.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here