skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Thanks for that, an interesting read. Even though he's Blackpool's best player, I hope he's fit for Saturday so he gets the great reception he deserves. I think he was worth another year as when we managed to keep him fit, he was a class act.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Fantastic bloke and real credit to football. But hasn't he already missed a load of Blackpool games with injury? Club made the right choice letting go, however upsetting it is to lose such a beautiful man from the club!

Downlander

Apr 14, 2011
I really like this man! Great shame it didn't work out and he had leave the club not quite fulfilling his potential.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
4 appearances for Blackpool, out of 7 games says it all. Great player on his day, but did next to nothing in HALF his career (last season) for us. Funny how Hoskins and Buckley get abuse with their injury records, but letting Orlandi go is apparently akin to letting Messi go.

Oscar may well have said to keep Orlandi, but he was no doubt a big money earner, who spent a lot of time injured.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Thanks for that, an interesting read. Even though he's Blackpool's best player, I hope he's fit for Saturday so he gets the great reception he deserves. I think he was worth another year as when we managed to keep him fit, he was a class act.

I for one will give him a great ovation when his name is read out

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'd rate Orlandi as one of our most skilful players of the Amex era but sadly very injury prone, right decision to let him go.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

Ditto.

Interesting to read Andrea's perspective on the end of his Albion career. Despite that injury record he still managed some sublime moments including the goal against Newcastle and that magical goal against Blackpool curled into the far corner with the outside of his foot. He deserves a warm welcome.

Doesn't sound like a bed of roses at Blackpool, both on and off the pitch. I note there was a report of an on the pitch rift between Orlandi and a team mate.

I imagine that Orlandi will be curious to see the Albion's attacking style adopted under Hyypia, I guess if he had stayed 100% fit and on form he might have been in contention for the role taken by Teixeira? It's a cruel game and the Albion have to look to the future.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

I'd rate Orlandi as one of our most skilful players of the Amex era but sadly very injury prone, right decision to let him go.

Agree with both of these :thumbsup:
On the plus side.......Cultured footballer. Lovely guy & great in the dressing room.
More importantly.......Too many injuries and too expensive to carry.

Interesting and articulate blog for what is presumably his second (third?) language. Smarter than the average footballer, will always remember the "just like watching Brazil" goal v Blackpool with a class assist from Spanish Dave.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Great player and great guy but would have been one of our higher earners I'd have thought. With his injury troubles I think it was 100% the right decision to let him go.

horshamite

Now Saltdeanite.
Nov 16, 2010
Plantar fasciitis doesn't go away without rest. Hope to see him to cheer him on saturday though.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I've read through those blogs and he does come across as a sensible, pleasant man.

This deserves repeating though (he acknowledges the attention the charity has received and hence cash, but the 'please donate'/'celeb-in-news' line is in danger of being crossed):

"By the way, all this icy-water-on-your-head thing is nonsense to me. Be solidary [sic] and donate, that’s what you have to do, and not because it’s in style but because you are convinced by the cause."

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
I remember Natterjack saying he was a good player, but very injury prone when he came to us from Swansea. Real shame as he is very talented and I'll never forget his goal against Newcastle. The club did the right thing letting him go. I wish him well and hope he will be injury free eventually.

Dec 19, 2011
Hove
Interesting and articulate blog for what is presumably his second (third?) language. Smarter than the average footballer, will always remember the "just like watching Brazil" goal v Blackpool with a class assist from Spanish Dave.
The article was written by Andrea in Spanish but has been translated into English by the tinterweb.

Not to detract from the great man of course, because we know he speaks excellent English, which is indeed his third language.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
His previous entry shows a lovely picture with Calde, who visited him during the international break. They're obviously close friends.

bobzam

Brighton 'til I die
Aug 13, 2008
Bristol
Burke asked for Garcia opinion by email.... What's wrong with having a bloody chat with him??? It was a week before the play offs so Garcia was still at the club. Great example of good communications. I hope he's able to talk to Hyypia otherwise you can imagine transfer deadline day. Email to ask if he fancies a certain player, reply comes in too late and we miss out... Oops!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Burke asked for Garcia opinion by email.... What's wrong with having a bloody chat with him??? It was a week before the play offs so Garcia was still at the club. Great example of good communications. I hope he's able to talk to Hyypia otherwise you can imagine transfer deadline day. Email to ask if he fancies a certain player, reply comes in too late and we miss out... Oops!

Maybe DB had a chat with OG, and then confirmed the conversation by outlining what he wanted to know (possibly in writing) from Oscar in an email? :shrug: I do that all the time - normally because I can be quite forgetful.

Maybe BECAUSE it was the week before the play-offs, Burke thought it was better for OG to concentrate on that, rather run through the merits of the players that were out of contract at the end of the season?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here