Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What were GATEWAY albums for you?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What albums really opened you up to whole new genres of music that you now love?

Kid A is probably the most commonly cited, and with good reason, it certainly opened my brain up to a lot of ambient/electronic sounds.

U2 - Zooropa was also one for my very young, confused brain.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Selling England by the pound

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
The Dark Side of the Moon turned me on the prog. On my first listening (I can't really recall when this was, I think I was 13) I wasn't really sure what to make of it. Something about it spoke to me though and upon my second go about a week later I fell in love with it and it remains to this day one of my favourite albums.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
London Calling - The Clash
Inflammable material - SLF
Fresh Fruit for Rotting vegetables - Dead Kennedy's
Boy - U2
I Just Can't Stop It - The beat
Closer - Joy Division
Wild Planet - The B52s

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
The Prodigy experience got me into rave which turned me on to every genre of electronic music to this day.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Cloud Nine, The Temptations. I first heard it when I was about 15, and it really got me to appreciate the whole soul/Stax/Atlantic genre, can't believe the crap they call R and B now tho

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Darklands - Jesus and Mary Chain
Hatful of Hollow - The Smiths
Debut - Bjork

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
When I was young, it was Iron Maiden - Powerslave. (Loved Aces High)

Latterly, The Subs - Decontrol

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Catch a Fire -Bob Marley -Reggae
Sweethearts of the Rodeo -The Byrds -Country Rock
Piper at the Gates of Dawn - Pink Floyd - Psychedelic Rock
Liege and Lief- Fairport Convention - Folk
Surrealistic Pillow -Jefferson Airplane - West Coast music.

Last edited:

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I started listening to music in about '78, and got into the tail end of punk, with The Jam, Buzzcocks, Sham 69, etc., then anything that was on Radio 1 at work, until '84 saw the release of 'Born in the USA' :guitar:, and I started to like Springsteen...

Got into a bit of AOR in the later 80's, with Permanent Waves by Rush a constant on the turntable

Late 90's saw the MTV video for The Dandy Warhol's 'Not If You Were The Last Junkie On Earth' prick my ears up to a bit of stoner...

And lately The Besnard Lakes and The Horrors are doing it for me in contrived layered psychedelia (man!)

Thanks for asking :)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Beastie Boys Licensed to Ill got me and fair few others in to rap, though me and my brother had also repeatedly played a rap compilation called Krush Groove while we were really indie kids. The aforementioned Kid A probably got me back in to alternative rock type stuff having been massively in to dance and electronica because it used the very latter as a base, but it made me explore Radiohead and Thom Yorke's other stuff.

However there wasn't a gateway album that got me in to dance but rather a combination of singles, writing, club nights and remixers - to whit the first time I heard Acid Trax, the first time I read Weatherall and Farley's Boys Own fanzine, the first time I heard the same two remix Happy Mondays and hearing Weatherall DJing at the Shark Club before getting more in to Detroit techno sounds by hearing Jeff Mills and Blake Baxter play out.

I'll bore off now.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Bob Marley and the Wailers - Live. Really opened by ears to reggae
Iggy and the Stooges - Raw Power, punk before punk
Charlie Mingus - Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, my first jazz album, made me realise it wasn't just for old fogeys

I'd like to say Can's Tago Mago and Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica but they didn't open my ears to any type of music because they're out there on their own: two utterly extraordinary albums

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
The Smiths - The Smiths. The start of my indie adventure that is still going on.

Parade - Prince and the Revolution. As a 15 year old indie fanatic, I dipped my toe into the world of pop and found that I loved it.

Best of House compilation. Nitro Deluxe, Marshall Jefferson, Adonis, etc. Chicago House.

Psychocandy - The Jesus and Mary Chain. Changed my hairstyle and bought three new guitar pedals. The advent of white noise into my life.

Victorialand - Cocteau Twins. Ethereal beauty enters my life - the precursor to MBV, Slowdive, etc up to the likes of Grouper today.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
'Wish You Were Here' - I can remember my dad getting out of Crawley Library when I was about eight or nine and I enjoyed it and it got me into he whole pomp/prog thing. Also 'Rain Dogs' by Tom Waits for getting me into....Tom Waits, which I believe is an entire sub-genre :). And the soundtrack for the anime 'Cafe Alpha', which got me into Japanese pop and rock and soundtracks for both anime and videogames, which are probably my favourite types of music.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here