Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC greyhound syndicate.

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
The NSC greyhound syndicate is about to purchase a new greyhound and we thought this would be a good time to open up the syndicate for anyone who would like to purchase a share, we currently have Albion Legend running but he is coming to the end of his racing career and will soon be retired and will be re-homed to make someone a wonderful pet, if you are interested in having a share in the syndicate the cost is £100 to bye in and then £25 per month for the up keep, this covers everything, if you are interested and need some more details, feel free to pm me, the new dog will be running in around a month, once the dog is purchased we will be renaming him with the 'Albion' prefix.
If anyone is interested in having a greyhound as a pet please let me know, the kennels that we have our dogs at always have dogs that are ready to be re-homed, they make wonderful pets, they need very little exercise and have wonderful characters.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
I had a share in a greyhound once. Costs escalate a lot once it gets full grown, and training starts.

Be sure to make allowance for any medical insurance, and what happens when it retires / unable to race.. Ours didn't make race grade, so became a loved pet for several years.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
I had a share in a greyhound once. Costs escalate a lot once it gets full grown, and training starts.

Be sure to make allowance for any medical insurance, and what happens when it retires / unable to race.. Ours didn't make race grade, so became a loved pet for several years.

The syndicate have all costs covered with the monthly subscription , the winnings are ploughed back in to the running training and upkeep of the dogs.I nearly joined myself but my circumstances changed:albion2:

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
The syndicate have all costs covered with the monthly subscription , the winnings are ploughed back in to the running training and upkeep of the dogs.I nearly joined myself but my circumstances changed:albion2:

Indeed, I remember. Fortunately was lucky enough to jump in with one of them, all good and have purchased lovely couple of girls, very well looked after, and competitive for sure. would recommend it.......x

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Nice when it happens but with over 10,000 dogs a year 'retiring' only half find new homes :(

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
Nice when it happens but with over 10,000 dogs a year 'retiring' only half find new homes :(

Sorry not sure where your getting your figures from but there are nowhere near that many greyhounds in training and all dogs get re-homed once they have finished racing, if there were 10,000 dogs a year retiring and their racing life is around 4 years, that would be a huge amount of dogs to be raced. All people I know in the racing industry have the dogs welfare as the most important thing. And for the records desperate seagull there is No insurance for the dogs and our syndicate has been running four years and we pay the same costs now as when we started and we have owned 4 dogs and have been very successful.

scooter1

How soon is now?
I was part of this syndicate when it formed 4 years ago, it is really well run and the dogs are well trained and well looked after(both during and after the racing careers). I only left for personal economic reasons, but still keep in touch with the guys who run it as its such a friendly unit

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Sorry not sure where your getting your figures from but there are nowhere near that many greyhounds in training and all dogs get re-homed once they have finished racing, if there were 10,000 dogs a year retiring and their racing life is around 4 years, that would be a huge amount of dogs to be raced. All people I know in the racing industry have the dogs welfare as the most important thing. And for the records desperate seagull there is No insurance for the dogs and our syndicate has been running four years and we pay the same costs now as when we started and we have owned 4 dogs and have been very successful.

The Retired Greyhound Trust, (a re-homing charity mostly funded by the Greyhound industry), quote a figure of 8,000 dogs a year retiring from active racing and that ignores the many thousands who are bred for racing but aren't 'suitable for racing'. - by all accounts 10,000 dogs a year is a conservative estimate.

http://www.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk/About-Greyhounds/

"Approximately 8,000 greyhounds retire from racing each year, typically between three and four years of age. Many never make the grade or retire at a much younger age as a result of minor injury. A great many owners will adopt greyhounds into their homes or arrange for them to live out their retirement at a kennel"

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Of course not all retired greyhounds are treated badly, many are found loving homes and live out a happy retirement - to claim however, "all dogs get re-homed once they are finished racing", is just wishful thinking. I have close ties with a local animal sanctuary and to see the state of some of the ex-racing dogs they take in is heart breaking.

Another sanctuary are Tia, who attempt to re-home dogs and horses and they have started a "wall of shame" naming the greyhounds they have taken in and the state they were in when arriving at the home and where they came from.

http://tia-rescue.org/WallOfShame.htm

I'm not suggesting any of the syndicates dogs would ever end up like some of these and I'm not anti-greyhound racing per se but the industry does need to face the facts and clean up the way many of its dogs are treated before, during and after their racing career.

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
Of course not all retired greyhounds are treated badly, many are found loving homes and live out a happy retirement - to claim however, "all dogs get re-homed once they are finished racing", is just wishful thinking. I have close ties with a local animal sanctuary and to see the state of some of the ex-racing dogs they take in is heart breaking.

Another sanctuary are Tia, who attempt to re-home dogs and horses and they have started a "wall of shame" naming the greyhounds they have taken in and the state they were in when arriving at the home and where they came from.

http://tia-rescue.org/WallOfShame.htm

I'm not suggesting any of the syndicates dogs would ever end up like some of these and I'm not anti-greyhound racing per se but the industry does need to face the facts and clean up the way many of its dogs are treated before, during and after their racing career.

So thats 10 this year that are on the list and maybe they were re-homed and it was the person that had them as a pet that treated them badly, I'm not saying that there isn't some mistreatment, remember all dogs have to be chipped and all details are stored with the GBGB, if a dog gets re-homed and the details aren't changed with the GBGB then the wrong person would be blamed, I have re-homed all of the syndicate dogs and there is a lot of paper work to go through, so I could see some would have an issue with that. Animal sanctuaries are full of badly treated dogs of all breeds.
All racing kennels get inspected by the GBGB and are visited without notice and dogs are only allowed to be kenneled in licensed premises,some of the anti greyhound racing people should visit the kennels and they would see that the majority of racing kennels are run by animal loving people and the dogs get treated better than some people treat their pets.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The NSC greyhound syndicate is about to purchase a new greyhound and we thought this would be a good time to open up the syndicate for anyone who would like to purchase a share, we currently have Albion Legend running but he is coming to the end of his racing career and will soon be retired and will be re-homed to make someone a wonderful pet, if you are interested in having a share in the syndicate the cost is £100 to bye in and then £25 per month for the up keep, this covers everything, if you are interested and need some more details, feel free to pm me, the new dog will be running in around a month, once the dog is purchased we will be renaming him with the 'Albion' prefix.
If anyone is interested in having a greyhound as a pet please let me know, the kennels that we have our dogs at always have dogs that are ready to be re-homed, they make wonderful pets, they need very little exercise and have wonderful characters.

I could be interested. From Mutts' post, I assume there is no chance of any financial payback ever, however successful a dog may be? The benefit of being a syndicate member is simply the knowledge that I'm a part owner in a few dogs? There is no implied criticism here - I'm just seeking clarity, so that I can make a decision.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sorry - I think I've got some PMs in my backlog relating to this.

NSC itself will buy a single share.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Sorry - I think I've got some PMs in my backlog relating to this.

NSC itself will buy a single share.

Is the dog going to be called Albion Bozza ?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
So thats 10 this year that are on the list and maybe they were re-homed and it was the person that had them as a pet that treated them badly, I'm not saying that there isn't some mistreatment, remember all dogs have to be chipped and all details are stored with the GBGB, if a dog gets re-homed and the details aren't changed with the GBGB then the wrong person would be blamed, I have re-homed all of the syndicate dogs and there is a lot of paper work to go through, so I could see some would have an issue with that. Animal sanctuaries are full of badly treated dogs of all breeds.
All racing kennels get inspected by the GBGB and are visited without notice and dogs are only allowed to be kenneled in licensed premises,some of the anti greyhound racing people should visit the kennels and they would see that the majority of racing kennels are run by animal loving people and the dogs get treated better than some people treat their pets.

I don't doubt any of the above and yes that is just a few dogs but at just one of many rescue centres - there are organisations, (I would cite PETA), who don't in my opinion do a lot to help the situation by some of what I would judge to be exaggeration in their publicity statements. However likewise there is undoubtedly an attitude of everything is fine amongst many in the racing community, (both horses and dogs).

If all owners treated their dogs in the way the 'Albion' syndicate apparently do then there would be few objectors to Greyhound Racing. It is up to the 'good' owners to be aware of what happens to many of the horses and dogs that aren't as lucky as their own and to campaign for better treament of the retired animals rather than leave it to the animal activist groups who can do more harm than good.

You expressed disbelief in an earlier post at the number of greyhounds that need re-homing each year which is probably indicative of the level of awareness about this problem of the majority of greyhound owners. Maybe 'educaion' and spreading the word would improve the lot of these thousands of greyhounds.

Anyway I wish your new dog and your syndicate all the best.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I could be interested. From Mutts' post, I assume there is no chance of any financial payback ever, however successful a dog may be? The benefit of being a syndicate member is simply the knowledge that I'm a part owner in a few dogs? There is no implied criticism here - I'm just seeking clarity, so that I can make a decision.

The syndicate was set up for the enjoyment of racing dogs by a group of Albion fans (initially we had one Palace fan as well) and not at all with any view to make money. We have been lucky that that the first two dogs did really well which provided funds to buy the next dog and surplus monies have been used to sponsor Albion Star - A youth football team in Belfast - and REMF.

The best bit is going to the track, meeting up with a few of the other members and cheering the dog(s) on, cheering home Albion Star to a win on Boxing Day year before last was up there with a last minute Albion winner.

prawnsarnies

Jan 20, 2010
Creaky, I would agree with you 1 mistreated dog is 1 too many and be sured the industry together with the owners have the problem at the top of the agenda, recently the racing post greyhound tv and a lot of trainers and kennel hands did a skydive in aid of the retired greyhound fund, with just one of the presenters Julie Collier raising over £100,000.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I may be interested, but only if we can call it c***jugglingthunder***t in true NSC tradition :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here