Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Varifocal glasses

Lush

Mods' Pet
Didn't need glasses of any kind until about four years ago. Then reading glasses only. But I've now just picked up my first pair of varifocal glasses.

What's your experience of them? How long does it take to get used to them?

Jul 7, 2003
Got my first pair in February from Frames In The Lanes. They say that people adapt differently to them and even offered an option to switch back to normal lenses if you couldn't get used to them.

Initially I was fine - no missed steps or anything. The thing I struggled with is looking at things at an angle. For example, at the Amex when looking at the big screen I can't just look out of the corner of my eyes but have to turn around and face the screens straight on. Same with work presentations.

Also, if I am stretched out on the sofa, the on screen guide isn't as easy to read as I'm looking through the glasses at the wrong angle if that makes sense.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Absolutely hate mine after 2 years, in fact I am looking over the top of them right now as I type. I am planning on trying contact lenses for normal vision, and adding a pair of specs for reading and computer work.

Fingers crossed!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Didn't need glasses of any kind until about four years ago. Then reading glasses only. But I've now just picked up my first pair of varifocal glasses.

What's your experience of them? How long does it take to get used to them?

Got mine from Specsavers. They acknowledged that varifocals didn't agree with everybody and that after a week you could swap them for ordinary glasses for free. Maybe give it a week?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I've had them for years, to protect them I wear them all the time. ( Except in bed.) I have never had a moments trouble or need to get used to them. Point your nose at what you want to look at and all will be peachy.
It's very useful to have Reaction lenses otherwise you have to fiddle about when you want to read or drive when the Sun comes out.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was given a week to get used to them by my optician, with the option to return to separate glasses if I didn't get on with them. I found I had to move my head slightly more, but got used to that within a couple of days. I don't even think about it now, and it's easier than carrying reading glasses, driving glasses, or glasses for computer use.

The Brighton Bear

Come on Kylie, get a grip
May 3, 2010
Rottingdean
I have been using them for the last eight years and I think that they are great. It seemed a bit strange for the first day or two but you get used to moving your head a bit more.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I got a pair of varifocals from Specsavers, but like another poster a bit further up, I had to move my head when looking at text on the TV. I took them back under their no-quibble guarantee, and they changed them for bi-focals with no hassle, and a refund of the difference between the two types of lenses...

There is a lot going on with near, distance and reading sections in varifocals, so perhaps bi-focals might be a better option?

Good Luck

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I mainly wear contact lenses which are varifocal and have a pair of varifocal glasses. Both are great but they take time getting used to. The glasses in particular took a few weeks they caused a dizzy kind of effect when looking down- avoid patterned carpets!

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Had my varifocal glasses for a couple of years now and would never go back, but did take me over a week for me to get use to them especially if you move your head to fast but over time you adjust to them.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
On my second pair of varifocal glasses took a little bit of getting use to but now wear them all the time they have changed my life before I had to change glasses every five mins

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I have had them for years , and like others I use Specsavers.

There are different qualities of lenses ,at different prices!, and they say the cheaper ones are more prone to distortion in the graduated bits. I would not be without them. They are better than having to change specs or using bifocals. I adapted easily.

The only drawback is that the reading part is at the bottom, so if you use a computer screen that is set at "eye level" straight ahead you can be straining to read it , or lifting the specs...The same can happen with notices that are at eye level or above.

But I would not change to anything else

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I was given a week to get used to them by my optician, with the option to return to separate glasses if I didn't get on with them. I found I had to move my head slightly more, but got used to that within a couple of days. I don't even think about it now, and it's easier than carrying reading glasses, driving glasses, or glasses for computer use.

This, so long as you move your head in the direction you're looking you won't have a problem. Surprisingly easy to adjust to.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I couldn't get on with them and changed back.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
I've tried them but went back to bifocals as I found them not easy to get on with. My optician described them as like trying to play the trombone and I think that's about right. I was for ever moving my head and neck to see properly and found it too much like hard work.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I have worn them for over 15 years,the only problem i had for 2/3 days was going down escalators,would not do without them ,even though they cost around £400 with reaction lenses

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Was fine with them until I broke my neck and had three vertebrae fused together which limited my head movement. Since then I have worn bi-focals for everyday use and have a pair of single focus glasses for computer work. I find the single focus glasses are better for using a computer screen than either bi-focals or vari-focals ever were as I can adopt a more normal head position when working.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I mainly wear contact lenses which are varifocal and have a pair of varifocal glasses. Both are great but they take time getting used to. The glasses in particular took a few weeks they caused a dizzy kind of effect when looking down- avoid patterned carpets!

This excites me!
Are varifocal contact lenses as expensive as glasses? I've been thinking about whether they might be an option.
I've personally had no issues adapting to varifocals, but it means that sunglasses are an issue.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
A friend of mine works for an opticians. One day he fell into the machine that grinds the lenses and made a spectacle of himself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here