Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"their two full-backs do like to rampage forwards"

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
“Because their two full-backs do like to rampage forwards we thought there was a chance to catch them on the break, we trained accordingly this week and we did actually catch them on the break because we’ve speared them from their corner kick (Daryl Murphy scoring the killer second in the 63rd minute).

“Ollie’s teams are very attack-minded, they can be left a bit bare at the back.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich...d_transfer_bids_in_the_right_manner_1_3769284

That was Mick McCarthy after Ipswich started the season with a win over Fulham.

Admittedly, Fulham's continued decline has me less worried about things than I was after watching that post match interview (the quote is taken from a post-match interview on the pitch as the game was on Sky), but when he said that I immediately started dreading our upcoming match with Ipswich.

Could be a rough night on Tuesday.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I gather Manchester United also favour this style of football? Can someone point me in the direction of a team that it works for? I'd like to see that I am wrong and it is not a totally naive way to play football. There may be lots of goals but I fear that we will be conceding more than we score.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I gather Manchester United also favour this style of football? Can someone point me in the direction of a team that it works for? I'd like to see that I am wrong and it is not a totally naive way to play football. There may be lots of goals but I fear that we will be conceding more than we score.
Yeah but it'll be so much better than winning 1-0 all the time.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
With hindsight it was all very well for our new formation and tactics to take Leeds apart and come from behind against Bolton but they were sides badly out of form. Apart from Blackpool we will encounter much better sides than Brentford over the next few weeks so I hope Sami now does a bit of 'fine tuning' on the training ground.

Sat among the Brentford fans yesterday it was interesting to overhear their comments at half time that 'Brighton's defence looks non-existent and they (Brentford) should have taken more of their chances in the first half 'cos Brighton would surely tighten things up for the second half........' That's what we hoped too - but then we made the same mistakes all over again.

Interesting that our tactical deficiencies were so b******n' obvious to both sets of fans - but not to our manager......

As always I'm 'glass half full' - so it's early days for Sami and there is time for the revamped squad to make his tactics work. A point at Ipswich would be no disgrace and hopefully then give Blackpool a battering.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

Wing backs work if you have three central defenders (see Mexico at the world cup. Only conceded three goals one being a penalty). It can work but you need to sacrifice one of the midfielders to provide adequate defensive cover.

so....

--------------- Stockdale ---------------
----- Greer ---- Dunk ----- Hughes ---
Calde --------------------------- Bennett
----------------- Holla -------------------
--------- Crofts ------- Tex --------------
------------ CMS ------ Balldock --------

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's hard to believe we have a non existent defense with Sami as our manager.

Judging by the scoring it would seem Sami has spent his entire professional career as a wannabe striker.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
With hindsight it was all very well for our new formation and tactics to take Leeds apart and come from behind against Bolton but they were sides badly out of form. Apart from Blackpool we will encounter much better sides than Brentford over the next few weeks so I hope Sami now does a bit of 'fine tuning' on the training ground.

Sat among the Brentford fans yesterday it was interesting to overhear their comments at half time that 'Brighton's defence looks non-existent and they (Brentford) should have taken more of their chances in the first half 'cos Brighton would surely tighten things up for the second half........' That's what we hoped too - but then we made the same mistakes all over again.

Interesting that our tactical deficiencies were so b******n' obvious to both sets of fans - but not to our manager......

As always I'm 'glass half full' - so it's early days for Sami and there is time for the revamped squad to make his tactics work. A point at Ipswich would be no disgrace and hopefully then give Blackpool a battering.

Sami has less than a year in charge of anyone, like all our previous managers. Who else gets employed on £500k?+ a year after being sacked from their only, under 12 months job in the same field? The likes of Hoddle & Warnock have 10x the experience, it's madness we keep going for L Platers

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/arti...ct-defending-1912019.aspx#sIwulXilGz1uvj30.99

Sami Hyypia has urged his side to tighten up at the back following the 3-2 defeat to Brentford at Griffin Park.

The Brighton & Hove Albion manager believes once his team produce a more solid defensive line that it will enable them to produce the football they are capable of.

He told seagulls.co.uk, “Football is 90 minutes so it doesn’t matter if you have a good opening 10 minutes. You concede, then you are chasing the game and it makes it more difficult.

“When you have to chase the game it’s not a great situation to be in and from our six league games so far I think the opposition has scored first in five of them."

He added, “That always makes it more difficult and I think today in the first half we were a little bit open with our defending and we need to learn how to be more patient and defend a little bit more compact - then when we get the ball we can play a little bit more football.

“That’s what we need to talk about and work on out on the training ground. In the forward movements we lost the ball a little bit too easily, giving the opposition the opportunity to counter-attack.

“Football is entertainment so if the fans had value for money I’m sure they can come here again next time but it doesn’t help me as we didn’t get anything from the game.

“It’s better that the next game comes fast as we have a chance to perform a bit better. We need to play better and play for the clean sheet, then we score two and we win.”

Meanwhile Hyypia said Lewis Dunk was replaced at half-time to avoid the possibility of the defender being sent off, following his disputed first-half booking for bringing down Andre Gray when through on goal.

“We changed things around a little bit at half time. We took Dunk off because the referee could have given him an easy yellow card because the earlier offence he made, a lot of referees would have shown a red card and we wanted to finish the game with 11 men.

“Sometimes the situation goes for you, sometimes against you, but we wouldn’t have protested too much if he had been given a red.”

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Surely the Ollie he refers to is Holloway, Magath's nickname isn't Ollie is it?
When was the last time our manager changed his usual tactics to counter the opposition?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sami has less than a year in charge of anyone, like all our previous managers. Who else gets employed on £500k?+ a year after being sacked from their only, under 12 months job in the same field? The likes of Hoddle & Warnock have 10x the experience, it's madness we keep going for L Platers

I thought L-platers like Poyet actually did OK, at least until it all got a bit silly at the end. Seem to remember a young rookie manager called Mullery doing not too bad for a beginner, and even the much maligned Barry Lloyd actually got us further than either Poyet or OG.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
When was the last time our manager changed his usual tactics to counter the opposition?

I think the comments were about the Ipswich v. MILLWALL match - not sure how Fulham got into it at all!

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
such observations are basic coaching intelligence! Brentford done a job on us yesterday,simply because their manager who has far less football credentials than our Sami, exposed our weaknesses? I do hope we can adapt and change our team pattern during games,otherwise it will be a long hard season for us!!

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
such observations are basic coaching intelligence! Brentford done a job on us yesterday,simply because their manager who has far less football credentials than our Sami, exposed our weaknesses? I do hope we can adapt and change our team pattern during games,otherwise it will be a long hard season for us!!

What I fear most is if we lose a few more, how many will start to get little injuries keeping them out of the team.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I think the comments were about the Ipswich v. MILLWALL match - not sure how Fulham got into it at all!

He said the exact same thing after the fulham game on the opening weekend. I remembered seeing it on Sky. I searched for that interview and didn't notice it happened against Millwall, too and that I had found an article referring to that game.

It worries me more now, knowing that he has shown the ability to beat more than one team playing the style Sami likes us to play.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Carlos and Cafu make our fullbacks look super defensive. But I am not sure they won much apart from the world cup and other minor things.

So you are seeing us play 3-5-2 that becomes 5-3-2? Nope I haven't seen anything that resembles that. Cafu and Carlos ventured forward in attack, they did not position themselves on the half way line as I remember it. The other minor difference is the quality of Brazil's forwards and midfield who may have had the edge and scored one or two more than ours.

IF you are right though and Sammi is trying to get us to play like a 2002 Brazil team, we could be in for a long hard season.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
So you are seeing us play 3-5-2 that becomes 5-3-2? Nope I haven't seen anything that resembles that. Cafu and Carlos ventured forward in attack, they did not position themselves on the half way line as I remember it. The other minor difference is the quality of Brazil's forwards and midfield who may have had the edge and scored one or two more than ours.

IF you are right though and Sammi is trying to get us to play like a 2002 Brazil team, we could be in for a long hard season.

That Brazil team had two very defensive midfield players, and almost played in banks of two up the pitch. I've no problem with us playing with the full-backs advanced but, if we do, we need extra security. So I'd like to see:

----------------------- Stockdale ------------------------
Bruno -------- Dunk --------- Greer --------- Bennett
----------------- Holla --------- Toko/Ince -------------
Colunga ------------- Crofts/Stephens -------- Teixiera
--------------------- CMS/Baldock ----------------------

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
With hindsight it was all very well for our new formation and tactics to take Leeds apart and come from behind against Bolton but they were sides badly out of form.

Leeds were confident of a third win at Elland Road in eight days when we played them.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I thought L-platers like Poyet actually did OK, at least until it all got a bit silly at the end. Seem to remember a young rookie manager called Mullery doing not too bad for a beginner, and even the much maligned Barry Lloyd actually got us further than either Poyet or OG.

Barry Lloyd, with his two relegations and one promotion...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here