Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sami's tactics

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Are they flawed?

Are they fine but we are not quite up to speed with them?

No idea but we'll see plenty of goals?

I really can't make my mind up but I confess to being worried about how many we'll concede when we meet one of the best teams in the division.

As long as we don't have a relegation battle I am happy enough to win some, lose some and be entertained with goal fests. Can't help thinking the tactics Sami uses are a bit naive when up against an astute manager with quick players and the know how of the way to beat us. It only needs pace and strikers who know where the net is and we're basically fubarred as far as I can see

Last edited:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Said it early on and I haven't changed my view, don't like them. Hoping that changes as time moves on though.
At the moment we Rely on the full backs too much, limits the midfield and make the forwards too narrow.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Unfortunately I can only comment with what I have read as I didn't go.

HOWEVER, I have not read so many positive comments from a defeat before - in fact we've been less positive when we have won.

For me it's nice to see a bit of change and the players thriving from that. Sami doesn't deploy tactics that constantly rely on only one or two players scoring the goals that we so desperately needed, which is refreshing.

Dunk and Greer seem to provide that added aerial threat from set-pieces which is fantastic to see as it causes problems for the opposition to prioritise their marking.

Sami is doing a great job and strongly believe he will take us to the next level - we just need to give him time and support. Trust me he will work wonders!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
The way Sami plays is always going to leave big gaps at the back. It's almost a given we'll concede a fair few this season. The plus side is we create way more opportunities. A bit of a Keegan setup as I see it,

Enjoyable after last seasons dross. Just the tonic we needed.

Whether, ultimately, it'll reap dividends remains to be seen but I'm certainly enjoying the ride.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Said it early on and I haven't changed my view, don't like them. Hoping that changes as time moves on though.
At the moment we Rely on the full backs too much, limits the midfield and make the forwards too narrow.

We've relied on our fullbacks since Poyet took over and brought Calde/Bruno/Ward etc in. It's not a new development,

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Looks familiar?

Copy and pasted from the BBC right now.

Screen Shot 2014-09-13 at 18.56.52.png

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Unfortunately I can only comment with what I have read as I didn't go.

HOWEVER, I have not read so many positive comments from a defeat before - in fact we've been less positive when we have won.

For me it's nice to see a bit of change and the players thriving from that. Sami doesn't deploy tactics that constantly rely on only one or two players scoring the goals that we so desperately needed, which is refreshing.

Dunk and Greer seem to provide that added aerial threat from set-pieces which is fantastic to see as it causes problems for the opposition to prioritise their marking.

Sami is doing a great job and strongly believe he will take us to the next level - we just need to give him time and support. Trust me he will work wonders!

I went, and I have no clear understating of today's tactics, they obviously didn't work , or at least the players didn't understand them, and how to put them into effect. Defenders seemed confused a lot of the time, passing seems to have been sacrificed for something, I'm not sure what. Brentford ran us ragged in a lot of positions, they got crosses in, they played balls into attackers feet, and looked pretty comfortable defending against our expensively assembled attacking players. I hope Hyypia has been working on something resembling a plan B for when his plan A goes so hopelessly wrong.

Thank goodness we had the international break eh?

All in IMO, naturally.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
We've relied on our fullbacks since Poyet took over and brought Calde/Bruno/Ward etc in. It's not a new development,

But we had them overlapping the wingers, not relying on them to get in all the crosses. Hence the 'too much'.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I went, and I have no clear understating of today's tactics, they obviously didn't work , or at least the players didn't understand them, and how to put them into effect. Defenders seemed confused a lot of the time, passing seems to have been sacrificed for something, I'm not sure what. Brentford ran us ragged in a lot of positions, they got crosses in, they played balls into attackers feet, and looked pretty comfortable defending against our expensively assembled attacking players. I hope Hyypia has been working on something resembling a plan B for when his plan A goes so hopelessly wrong.

Thank goodness we had the international break eh?

All in IMO, naturally.

Completely spot on. We made brentford look like man city going forward at times they could have had 6 or 7 if they were more clinical.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
You can do that with decent full backs. Calderon has not been good enough for years now and as villa fans have pointed out Bennett simply cannot defend.

But the players we have signed are much better than those that left according to most on here

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We need more solidity. People on here like to go on about attack, attack, attack, but that's not how you win games, and challenge for promotion. I'm all for the attacking full-backs, but if we're going to do that, we need more protection, so I'd like to see another defensive midfield player -- Toko or Ince -- playing alongside Holla, who seems more like Xabi Alonso, stroking the ball around, rather than destroying the opposition's attacks, as Bridcutt did once upon a time.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The way Sami plays is always going to leave big gaps at the back. It's almost a given we'll concede a fair few this season. The plus side is we create way more opportunities. A bit of a Keegan setup as I see it,

Enjoyable after last seasons dross. Just the tonic we needed.

Whether, ultimately, it'll reap dividends remains to be seen but I'm certainly enjoying the ride.

This. IN BUCKETLOADS.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
So far, his 'style' is:

-Possession football
-Quick (one touch) passing
-One man up top with attacking midfielders supporting, but no 'proper' wingers
-Fullbacks offering the width due to lack of wingers
-At least two holding midfielders to cover fullbacks

Fullbacks pushing forward is a good tactic, but we're pushing them forward too much. On many occasions today, Bennett was completely out of position after our attacks broke down. Brentford took advantage of this by having two players flanking our covering midfielder. Because Bennett was so slow at getting back, and because he lost the ball a lot in the attacking half, they always had a massive thread down the right.

Under Poyet, we did attack a lot with fullbacks too, and we did use players like Navaro and Bridcutt to cover the runs if Bridge / Calderon / Bruno / Painter. However, they still tracked back and never went only marauded forward when there was space too. Under Hyppia, we appear to just bomb fullbacks forward as soon as we get the ball, even when he opportunity isn't there. Right tactic IMO, wrong execution. I'm confident that Sami will actually get us playing good football. We're scoring goals more freely than last season. However, our defence (which has been outstanding in recent years) has to compromise for his attack-minded style, that will take some getting use too.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The problem today was the full backs were wide up the pitch and the midfielders who were supposed to cover than on counter attacks didn't !

Pacey wingers will kill us this season, I can see no way our tactics can stop them. Our backs, midfielders and central defenders are too slow.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The team as it is set up cannot defend consequently we will be seeing a number of results and scores like today. 2 goals scored away should at least earn us 1 point.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
So far, his 'style' is:

-Possession football
-Quick (one touch) passing
-One man up top with attacking midfielders supporting, but no 'proper' wingers
-Fullbacks offering the width due to lack of wingers
-At least two holding midfielders to cover fullbacks

Fullbacks pushing forward is a good tactic, but we're pushing them forward too much. On many occasions today, Bennett was completely out of position after our attacks broke down. Brentford took advantage of this by having two players flanking our covering midfielder. Because Bennett was so slow at getting back, and because he lost the ball a lot in the attacking half, they always had a massive thread down the right.

Under Poyet, we did attack a lot with fullbacks too, and we did use players like Navaro and Bridcutt to cover the runs if Bridge / Calderon / Bruno / Painter. However, they still tracked back and never went only marauded forward when there was space too. Under Hyppia, we appear to just bomb fullbacks forward as soon as we get the ball, even when he opportunity isn't there. Right tactic IMO, wrong execution. I'm confident that Sami will actually get us playing good football. We're scoring goals more freely than last season. However, our defence (which has been outstanding in recent years) has to compromise for his attack-minded style, that will take some getting use too.

The full backs position themselves on the half way line under Hyypia, I'm pretty sure that is what he has told them to do?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here