Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Breaking Bad V The Wire V The Sopranos V Boardwalk Empire V Others

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I recently broke my foot and found myself with way more free time than is probably healthy. Anyway, I'd already finished the incredible Breaking Bad, and was up to date with Boardwalk Empire, so thought I'd catch up on the other two of the 'Top 4'. Finished both of them in a month (?!) and I had to check how the internet felt about all four series to see if my opinion was correct.

My list goes (and I think it's only fair to have seen every episode of each series to rank)
1) Sopranos
2) Breaking Bad
3) Boardwalk Empire
4) The Wire

I've checked other (nerdier) forums and I was amazed by how many people thought The Wire was the pick of the bunch. I'll go into why it's the worst of the four if anyone replies and I'm not hungover.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
4 to 3 for me, excepting this I agree.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Oh I missed the 'and others' so may have to come back to you...

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Early doors but True Detective is spiffing.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
Breaking bad first but Utopia MUST be in the top 4. "Where is Jessica Hide?" brilliant!

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Utopia and The Walking Dead

I've heard nothing but great things about Utopia, my foot's just not broken enough to delve into British TV yet.

And The Walking Dead is just one huge frustration for me. Season one was a perfectly paced/acted/scripted EPIC with a satisfying conclusion, the second series seriously felt like a season of Neighbours - they doubled the amount of episodes and fleshed it out with soap opera bollocks. I'm reliably informed that it picks back up again, so may crack on with that once Boardwalk Empire finishes.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I've cancelled Sky as CBA giving the Digger £46 a month, does anyone know where the final series of Boardwalk can be found?

I think all four programmes are excellent, if I could only have one for a desert island would probably opt for The Wire, but only because I think it would stand up to repeated viewing the best.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Anyone watching Gomorrah series on Sky Atlantic. Fantastic.

Sorry if someone has mentioned it. Too pissed to bother reading the rest of the posts.

But out of what you mentioned.

1. S opranos
2. Breaking Bad
3. The Wire
4. Boarwalk

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Currently into Season 4 of Califorinication. Loads of tits in every episode.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
I've cancelled Sky as CBA giving the Digger £46 a month, does anyone know where the final series of Boardwalk can be found?

I think all four programmes are excellent, if I could only have one for a desert island would probably opt for The Wire, but only because I think it would stand up to repeated viewing the best.

Pirate Bay

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Agree but you have to stick with it as it starts slow. I have just started the west wing.

Yep - I meant there has only been one series (so not yet a comparison to the Wire etc).

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
1. The Wire
2. Sopranos
3. Game of Thrones
4. Breaking Bad
5. Boardwalk Empire

I've always thought The Wire was the best series of all-time and watching it a second time a couple of years back has cemented that opinion. I love all 5 but nothing compares to the magnificence of The Wire. It's so well researched and the characters are brilliantly played.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Why does no one ever mention Mad Men?!?! Ridiculously underrated in the UK, it cleans up most years at the Emmys and golden globes. Well worth a watch, ridiculously clever.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not one that gets a mention much, but I cuffing LOVED Banshee. The violence was absolutely ridiculous.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here