Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Emergency Goalkeeper.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
So we've used all three subs and Stockdale gets sent off. Which of our outfield players goes in goal?

:shrug:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
One of the 10 outfield players on the pitch. Not knowing who is playing or been substituted or those who come on as substitutes can't answer really.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Surely a tallish midfielder would be best to avoid weakening the defence even further by losing a player there and a single striker is needed as an outlet

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I seem to vaguely remember Gus saying he would have used Barnes as an emergency goalkeeper but obviously that was a few seasons ago. Probably go with Ince if he was on the pitch for the reasons above (not wanting to weaken our defence, tall lad etc).

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm going for Calderon. Its always the characters that do the job, and he's got one.

:)

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I'm going for Calderon. Its always the characters that do the job, and he's got one.

:)
I'm sure I read a quote from him that his fantasy was to score in a cup final then have to go in goal because the keeper got injured/sent off and he saves a penalty to win 1-0. :love:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I seem to vaguely remember Gus saying he would have used Barnes as an emergency goalkeeper but obviously that was a few seasons ago. Probably go with Ince if he was on the pitch for the reasons above (not wanting to weaken our defence, tall lad etc).

You almost certainly did hear Gus say that - as a youngster, Barnes played in all positions on the pitch, including goalkeeper. He was a big Peter Schmeichel fan.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Isn't there an emergency keeper in the dressing room kept behind a glass screen which you have to smash in such a situation.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Interesting question. I only remember Eddie Spearitt going in goal. Anyone else remember a stand in keeper?

Not quite, but Dean Wilkins didn't have a sub keeper on the bench. It would have been Fraser in goal, and bring on a midfielder had the goalie been injured.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here