Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] London football clubs. Biggest and smallest

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I had a bit of a discussion recently about the percieved size of London clubs at both ends of the spectrum. I was surprised how much debate there is for who takes the crown between Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham. Also who would be percieved as the smallest?

For me the top four and bottom four in order would go;

Arsenal
Chelsea
Tottenham
West Ham

Brentford
Leyton Orient
Afc Wimbledon
Dag & Redbridge

Finally do people feel our capital is poorly represented by clubs taking into accout it's size and footballing heritage? It always surprises me for instance that there are no big clubs South of the river despite there being a huge population.

Any opinions?

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
I had a bit of a discussion recently about the percieved size of London clubs at both ends of the spectrum. I was surprised how much debate there is for who takes the crown between Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham. Also who would be percieved as the smallest?

For me the top four and bottom four in order would go;

Arsenal
Chelsea
Tottenham
West Ham

Brentford
Leyton Orient
Afc Wimbledon
Dag & Redbridge

Finally do people feel our capital is poorly represented by clubs taking into accout it's size and footballing heritage? It always surprises me for instance that there are no big clubs South of the river despite there being a huge population.

Any opinions?
Where does Chelsea draw on its support ?.. i would think a lot of it is from south of the River

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Where does Chelsea draw on its support ?.. i would think a lot of it is from south of the River

Chelsea has a huge following in the home counties, it's also the best supported club down here in Lyme.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Yep, Chelsea are based in West London but draw a LOT of support from South London, South West London and the south west London commuter belt. For example, places like Tooting and Morden are historically Chelsea areas despite probably being geographically closer to Crystal Palace (or later, Wimbledon).

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Spurs are bigger than Chelsea. It's only since the Abramahovic era, people have started comparing them to the big 2. It's a bit like comparing Man City to Real Madrid.

SAC

May 21, 2014
West Ham are the only club to win the World Cup so they must be the biggest in London and all of England.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Arsenal
Spurs
Chelsea
West Ham

Brentford
Leyton Orient
Crystal Palace.
Dag & Redbridge

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
West Ham are the only club to win the World Cup so they must be the biggest in London and all of England.

West Auckland as they were the first European cup winners !

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Spurs are bigger than Chelsea. It's only since the Abramahovic era, people have started comparing them to the big 2. It's a bit like comparing Man City to Real Madrid.

I can't think of anyone who would place City above Real, but in my lifetime BOTH Spurs and Chelsea have been relegated from the top tier. Chelsea and Spurs were both decent cup teams in the pre-Abramovic years.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
I can't think of anyone who would place City above Real, but in my lifetime BOTH Spurs and Chelsea have been relegated from the top tier. Chelsea and Spurs were both decent cup teams in the pre-Abramovic years.

The Bill Nicholson era is what made Spurs. Chelsea don't have any history like this.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Yep, Chelsea are based in West London but draw a LOT of support from South London, South West London and the south west London commuter belt. For example, places like Tooting and Morden are historically Chelsea areas despite probably being geographically closer to Crystal Palace (or later, Wimbledon).

Completely agree, walk around places like Mitcham, St Helier or Colliers wood in the suburbs and they feel very much like Chelsea strong holds and were that way long before Abromvich's reign. This obviously impacts on attendances of the established South London clubs but still for such a large population to not have a local 'big' team is strange IMO.

If you look at outer South London with Sutton, Croydon and Bromley there's a combined population of around 1.5 million and plus the catchment of North Surrey yet the only league team there is Palace who only a mid sized club who generally attract sub 20k crowds.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
That's historically speaking though, at what point does modern day achievement/ability outweigh older honours?

Chelsea have been at, or near, the summit of the English game for last decade or so, Spurs, not so much.

Obviously it's all very subjective but I'd have to say that for me Chelsea are the 'bigger' club.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I would go

Arsenal
Chelsea
Spurs
West Ham
Fulham
QPR
Charlton
Palace
Millwall
Orient
Brentford
Daggers
AFC Wimbledon

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
That's historically speaking though, at what point does modern day achievement/ability outweigh older honours?

Chelsea have been at, or near, the summit of the English game for last decade or so, Spurs, not so much.

Obviously it's all very subjective but I'd have to say that for me Chelsea are the 'bigger' club.

Before Abramahovic arrived. Spurs were the only London team to reach a European championship semi final.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The Bill Nicholson era is what made Spurs. Chelsea don't have any history like this.

Under Tommy Doc and Dave Sexton Chelsea were a decent team, won a few cups, including beating Real Madrid in the Cup Winners Cup in 1972. A couple of great years under Nicholson doesn't give Spurs a better overall history.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Before Abramahovic arrived. Spurs were the only London team to reach a European championship semi final.

Chelsea won European honours in 1972 and 1997, the only reason why they didn't enter the European Cup in 1955 was due to the suits at the FA talking them out of taking apart.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Under Tommy Doc and Dave Sexton Chelsea were a decent team, won a few cups, including beating Real Madrid in the Cup Winners Cup in 1972. A couple of great years under Nicholson doesn't give Spurs a better overall history.

Weren't they double winners too in 1960/61?

Have Chelsea achieved that?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I would go

Arsenal
Chelsea
Spurs
West Ham
Fulham
QPR
Charlton
Palace
Millwall
Orient
Brentford
Daggers
AFC Wimbledon

Nearly....I reckon our friends up the road are bigger than Charlton..(recent years) QPR are a funny club, not huge, but always buzzing around the top flight. Where would we be in that list? Just below Palace is my guess!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here