Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ice bucket challenge

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Pretty poor that only one in ten who did the challenge have gone on to cough up. :nono:

I'm finally going to get round to doing mine tomorrow, having put it off for ages.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I have to say I've found the whole thing a "look at me exercise".

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Very much so. One of the most irritating (and pointless) things to hit social media for a long long time.

It's also the emotional blackmail part of it I object to. You're considered a social leaper if don't don't take part in this 'hilarious' act and why should I feel obliged to donate to a charity I haven't picked ?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
75% of the millions raised has gone straight in directors pockets, donate to a different charity and keep yourself dry, like I did.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I would agree, really. That said, I'm still in shock after something that I found out last week which is making me think an awful lot. I used to work with and sit next to a guy around 1998-2000, and we stayed in touch as part of a group of 5 or 6 until around 2004. Then I lost touch but we found each other again on Facebook about 5 years ago, and I thought nothing of it. But last week, he changed his background profile picture. There he was, in a wheelchair with oxygen tank, head rest, rear-view mirror and so on. It turns out he contracted motor neuron disease a few years back, and personally I knew nothing about any of this until that Facebook picture changed.

To be honest, I think knowing this bloke as a normal guy who was a good laugh in the office a decade ago, but is now unable to do anything except make contact by moving his eyes, has affected me far more than if he'd simply say, died in a car crash. It's just awful.

So I'll be doing it, and paying up.

I thought you had 24hs to complete it by or pay more money?
Really? I'm not familiar with the rules. But I'll pay what I can.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

In some ways yes, but, on the other hand, it has done a good job of raising awareness of associated charities and diseases, particularly ALS/Motor Neurone Disease, as well as raising record amounts of money for the big ALS charity in the US (even if it does have the associated issues of how much money actually goes to support research).

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I would agree, really. That said, I'm still in shock after something that I found out last week which is making me think an awful lot. I used to work with and sit next to a guy around 1998-2000, and we stayed in touch as part of a group of 5 or 6 until around 2004. Then I lost touch but we found each other again on Facebook about 5 years ago, and I thought nothing of it. But last week, he changed his background profile picture. There he was, in a wheelchair with oxygen tank, head rest, rear-view mirror and so on. It turns out he contracted motor neuron disease a few years back, and personally I knew nothing about any of this until that Facebook picture changed.

To be honest, I think knowing this bloke as a normal guy who was a good laugh in the office a decade ago, but is now unable to do anything except make contact by moving his eyes, has affected me far more than if he'd simply say, died in a car crash. It's just awful.

So I'll be doing it, and paying up.

No, fair play in that situation. 'Enjoy' !

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I got tired pretty quickly of seeing people do this, but what is bugging me more now is the numbers of people moaning at people for doing it. Do it if you want, don't if you don't.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I did get nominated, but I didn't do it on the grounds that I prefer any charity donations I make to be my own business. I can't abide the idea of forced charity. To each their own though, if other people choose to do it that's their business.

Aside from that side of things, I refuse to have videos or photos of me posted on the Internet.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Pretty poor that only one in ten who did the challenge have gone on to cough up. :nono:

I'm finally going to get round to doing mine tomorrow, having put it off for ages.

Not that I'd exactly get a kick out of seeing you in extreme pain, ahem, could you record it do you
think? :)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Very much so. One of the most irritating (and pointless) things to hit social media for a long long time.

Irritating - maybe.

Pointless - no. The Motor Neurone Disease Association has recorded a sharp increased in donations since this thing started, enabling them to do more than they otherwise thought they originally could. Of course, they could have had more if the 9 in 10 who haven't coughed up had done so, but what has been done so far shouldn't be dismissed at 'pointless'.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Irritating - maybe.

Pointless - no. The Motor Neurone Disease Association has recorded a sharp increased in donations since this thing started, enabling them to do more than they otherwise thought they originally could. Of course, they could have had more if the 9 in 10 who haven't coughed up had done so, but what has been done so far shouldn't be dismissed at 'pointless'.

I'm with this. It's all pretty harmless really, and if it's raised awareness of, and some money for, MND then great. There are much bigger things to get irritated about.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I can't see what the irritation is. A mate of mine nominated me because pretty much all of his other FB friends had either done it or said no. I did it because I have two kids and they found it pretty funny tipping ice and water over Daddy. By this point ALS were absolutely swimming in money so I donated to the same charity I choose to donate to when I have some spare cash to give away or a silly stunt to perform - The Martlets. About five people saw the video on Facebook, two of whom liked it and, er, that was it.

Hardly swinging naked from Buckingham Palace yelling 'LOOK AT MEEEEEE' is it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here