Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sonos

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Been looking in to these things as read about them all the time on here.

I got to admit I really don't see the point - it says you can play Spotify but then you would still need a premium account, so why bother when at the moment I can bluetooth my soundbar from my phone for free and also use another bluetooth speaker I have in another room when I am in there or just use spotify on my PC when in my study? Would it not be a wasted c£250?

If you got spotify premium included with the speaker only then I would understand that.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Spotify is a nice to have, but I don't use it. I have a huge MP3 collection stored on a NAS in a cupboard, so I can pick any song, stream it to whatever Sonos in whichever room I am in.

If you can fit your entire music collection on your phone, then your current system is probably fine.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Spotify is a nice to have, but I don't use it. I have a huge MP3 collection stored on a NAS in a cupboard, so I can pick any song, stream it to whatever Sonos in whichever room I am in.

If you can fit your entire music collection on your phone, then your current system is probably fine.
Ah that makes a little more sense, I have I dont know how much in MP3's - at one point my library said over a year without all of it included - I normally plug one of my hard drives in to my laptop and bluetooth but I can see the ease of using a NAS with it

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ah that makes a little more sense, I have I dont know how much in MP3's - at one point my library said over a year without all of it included - I normally plug one of my hard drives in to my laptop and bluetooth but I can see the ease of using a NAS with it

Even if still on a PC or laptop, still easier to manage than having to keep going over and bluetoothing or whatever. The app is really good to manage it all from a phone or tablet. But for me the NAS is a killer use. Little box hidden away with a few hundred GB of music ready to go at my finger tips whenever

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Even if still on a PC or laptop, still easier to manage than having to keep going over and bluetoothing or whatever. The app is really good to manage it all from a phone or tablet. But for me the NAS is a killer use. Little box hidden away with a few hundred GB of music ready to go at my finger tips whenever

Additionally gives the added benefit to the 'music snobs' of streaming lossless files if your collection is stored as such, as an alternative to the compressed Spotify. Not totally evident what with the loss over the streaming medium, but a higher bit rate nonetheless should it be desired. All down to choice.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda

What NAS do you use? All my bluetooth uses remotes so in theory I dont need to move, but NAS holding everything on the other hand... my only worry would be backups

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Additionally gives the added benefit to the 'music snobs' of streaming lossless files if your collection is stored as such, as an alternative to the compressed Spotify. Not totally evident what with the loss over the streaming medium, but a higher bit rate nonetheless should it be desired. All down to choice.

I do have quite a FLAC/WAV collection, especially D&B so that sounds good

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Has taken a while to compile so worth looking after IMHO.

Good point, the amount of time and money I have spent at my computer screen! My biggest thing now is buying vinyl where the full album is available to download (most drum and bass albums release maybe 4 songs max on LP)

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I've got an old Netgear ReadyNAS.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Not an aficionado on the D&B world so I sympathise in ignorance but I feel it's been worth it and over 1TB of mainstream, rare and personal collections of all types of music at my fingertips DOES appeal, yet one artist still remains pride of place in both vinyl and CD format and will always do so.
The general vinyl sits mostly dormant in the study but ridding myself of many, many CDs has proved popular as an idea. not least of all with my wife.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Call me a Luddite but you can stick that shit up your arse - make an effort and buy your own music thus contributing to artists wanting to actually make albums rather than one off download tracks.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
I have a Napster (by Rhapsody) account that I use with my Sonos.
Spotify always seems to be discussed more regularly than Napster so I guess it's more popular. Was wondering how do the two services differ? Why is Spotify so much more popular?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here