Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Government Gateway ID

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Just used the online process to change my driving licence address, though 'Government Gateway'.

What an absolutley pile of sh*t that system is.

It took me 20 minutes to re-register as I couldnt remember my 15 digit 'Gateway ID' (Not really top of my list of things to remember) and I also couldnt get through the raft of security questions designed to help you in if you do forget it. I then soon found out why I couldnt get in when it came to re-registering.

Aside from putting in every single bloody document reference I have ever been issued by the governement into the system (passport, national insurance, driving licence paper and card, all previous addresses) I still have to create a password which conforms to their ridiculos regulations, and so in effect make a new one just for this system. I then cant use my mothers maiden name as the 'memorable name' as part of the reset answers. My memorable place was too long.

The real pain in the arse is that I was doing all this knowing I wont remember any of it when I next come to change something in a year or two.

Rant over.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Did the same thing last week, load of bollocks isn't it? and I had to pay for a new licence because I needed to update my photo. Even though it won't cost them any more, as they used my passport photo (in which I look younger than my existing driving licence photo). They need to get rid of the ludicrously out of data paper part of the driving licenses as well and just have the card.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's brilliant - so many functions in one place. Anyone who does online tax returns will probably concur.

Also, the Gateway ID is key to accessing all of these services - you need to keep a record of it and your password.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I tried to register last year as the number of qualifying years for a full state pension increases from 30 to 35 in 2016 and I wanted to see what the shortfalls in NI contributions were since 2009 so I could set aside funds to buy the additional qualifying years (My employer offers a pension saver scheme which is a salary sacrifice and as a consequence my NI deductions are minimal). Needless to say the 15 digit ID and alpha/numeric password they sent in the post wasn't recognised by the system and any customer support was non existent. I gave up in the end and will now wait for my state pension forecast update in 2016 if they're still sending out letters by then.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's brilliant - so many functions in one place. Anyone who does online tax returns will probably concur.

Also, the Gateway ID is key to accessing all of these services - you need to keep a record of it and your password.

This. I like it and it's a breeze to do my tax.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010

This. If you look after you i.d and password it's a doddle.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Just used the online process to change my driving licence address, though 'Government Gateway'.

It took me 20 minutes to re-register as I couldnt remember my 15 digit 'Gateway ID' (Not really top of my list of things to remember) and I also couldnt get through the raft of security questions designed to help you in if you do forget it. I then soon found out why I couldnt get in when it came to re-registering.

Aside from putting in every single bloody document reference I have ever been issued by the governement into the system (passport, national insurance, driving licence paper and card, all previous addresses) I still have to create a password which conforms to their ridiculos regulations, and so in effect make a new one just for this system. I then cant use my mothers maiden name as the 'memorable name' as part of the reset answers. My memorable place was too long.

The real pain in the arse is that I was doing all this knowing I wont remember any of it when I next come to change something in a year or two.

Rant over.
You lose or forget your i.d. Number and it's everybody else fault except your own.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove

Totally agree absolute breeze to do tax return on.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Have used it for my tax returns and is a doddle. There are so many sites needing different password formats, mix of upper and lower case, upper, lower and a numerical, upper, lower, number and special character etc etc.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

It took me 20 minutes to re-register as I couldnt remember my 15 digit 'Gateway ID' (Not really top of my list of things to remember) and I also couldnt get through the raft of security questions designed to help you in if you do forget it. I then soon found out why I couldnt get in when it came to re-registering. My memorable place was too long.

Rant over.

Perhaps, in hindsight, it may have been a mistake choosing Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwll-llantysiliogogogoch :shrug:

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean

This, as long as you write down your gateway ID and passwords it makes tax returns/self assessments soo much easier, but it can be a bit of a palaver to re-register if you forget them.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Indeed it is an absolute nightmare, although they say you should not write a password or id down, with this, you absolutely have to or you are stuffed. Harumph !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This, as long as you write down your gateway ID and passwords it makes tax returns/self assessments soo much easier, but it can be a bit of a palaver to re-register if you forget them.

Also,it's quite bad if you find this out on January 30th.

Apr 12, 2011

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Or keep the letter informing you of the logon details? Do you not keep tax related records for tax return purposes? Keep the details with them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here