Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Minecraft - Is it worth playing?

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
What is with Minecraft? Looks sh*t and yet it's so popular.

Why?

Anyone play?

Is it fun?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My son is absolutely addicted to it. :down:

The thing that pisses me off about it is that the XBox version isn't compatible with the Java versions running on PC/Mac - they diversified and followed different paths a couple of years ago. What the f*ck is the point of that?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
big lego

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It's a bit of a phenomenon that you just aren't going to get unless you are under 16 at the moment.

It's a massive business though, with a whole range of merchandise and a film planned for next year.

Microsoft are buying Mojang, who developed the game under a guy known as Notch, for $2 billion. The ironic thing about that being Notch is famously anti mega corporations and pulled out of a deal of making a version for the 'occulus' when Facebook purchased them, calling Facebook 'creepy'. But hey who can blame the guy, I would do literally anything for $2billion.

In terms of the game I think there is an adventure mode where you have to build up and protect your base but most people just play it in a free roam mode and use it as a big ideas lego set where you can create whatever you want. Apparently some schools are thinking about using it to encourage creative thinking from students.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
My 6 year old is addicted to it. It's Lego on a computer essentially. It's a cheaper alternative to actually buying and playing Lego with your children.

Currently, the over priced minecraft torch purchased from Amazon is Lost. Crisis doesn't even cover the reaction.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
There is also a driving game called Blocky Roads available as an app. It's basically a complete Rip off of minecraft but a shit driving game as well.

The kids absolutely love it <shrugs>

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
To echo others: my kids (7, 9 and 11) love it and talk of little else (apart from Doctor Who), but I wasn't aware that it was a popular pursuit for adults outside of the geeky Dungeons and Dragons type set.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
My son has it although I have not been paying attention really - it seems to be along the same lines as things like transport tycoon and sims. You build stuff but things can happen that destroy your buildings, although you can turn that bit off. Seems rather one dimensional and dull, but it keeps him interested and it stirs the imagination a bit, so there must be something to it.

My daughter is addicted to it. I can understand the addiction to playing it, why not after all? But it's the addiction to watching youtube videos of other people playing it that I find a bit weird

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
What is with Minecraft? Looks sh*t and yet it's so popular.

Why?

Anyone play?

Is it fun?

It's the crack cocaine of video games. Its a mix of Lego, Sims and Dungeons & Dragons.

You start off building a house, then a castle, then you give a wolf a bone and you have a pet dog and you think.... yeah this is alright but I'm starting to get bored.

Then you dig a big hole (or go exploring and find a big hole) and f*ck me, there are massive underground cave systems with zombies and skeletons; and waterfalls and hot lava; with hidden chambers and collapsing ceilings.

And next thing you know its 6am on monday morning, the weekend has disappeared and the missus is f*cking fuming!

At least that's what happened to me! :blush:

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
Played it for about an hour on the ipad on shared wireless game with my 9 year old cousin, but I didn't find it fun...at all. I triedlol.

Prefer my sim city, civ 5, counterstrike and battlefield. A bit more stimulating for me.But everything is subjective

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My son played it a lot. He's moved onto Terraria now, which is more like a classic platform game, but has a lot lot of the building aspects.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
I have to admit I've sunk a few days into playing Minecraft, but couldn't explain how or why. It's a vacuum of time and space that sucks you in and won't let go unless you uninstall it.

I also have a serious Lego problem.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
MY 10 year old son is bored of it now, he said its Lame. He does still go online with it to chat to his mates though so it can't be that Lame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here