Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Metal Detecting

Maverick

Jun 1, 2011
I have just taken up metal detecting and am looking for permission to detect on any local fields around the area. I am told is hard to obtain and have struggled a bit so far. If anyone knows anybody I could approach or have any advice it would be appreciated. Cheers

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
I have just taken up metal detecting and am looking for permission to detect on any local fields around the area. I am told is hard to obtain and have struggled a bit so far. If anyone knows anybody I could approach or have any advice it would be appreciated. Cheers

Have you tried Bennet's Field?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

If you are ever in near Penzance message me, I have a Bronze Age burial site on part of my land, you can have a nose.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Oh, contact the archaeological society, they'll know places. Enjoy!

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
It would be quite useful if you gave your location?

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
I would start with Sting, you might get lucky there.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oh, contact the archaeological society, they'll know places. Enjoy!

I'd imagine you'll find that rogue individual metal detecting enthusiasts are just about the Archeological Society's least favourite people.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'd imagine you'll find that rogue individual metal detecting enthusiasts are just about the Archeological Society's least favourite people.

Absolutely but they will know places that allow it, places that have already been surveyed.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Absolutely but they will know places that allow it, places that have already been surveyed.

Fair point.

(So if the OP wants a list of places where he's guaranteed to find nothing of interest, that's who to go to!)

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Do it late at night, it's dark then :wink:

Detector.gif

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Fair point.

(So if the OP wants a list of places where he's guaranteed to find nothing of interest, that's who to go to!)

Haha! Pretty much. I won't let the blighters on my place without permission and me there too. I very rarely do it as I don't like amateurs digging around in a 5000 yr old site.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Use to do metal detecting years ago...found a silver bracelet...an old Ford car badge...and four empty Guinness cans at Beachy Head...But have decided to try again and my new Detector arrived this Monday...yet to use it,but watch this space for the Lost Golden Treasures of Deeper Sussex...(more beer cans I expect!)

easynow

Mar 17, 2013
jakarta
I would just go anywhere and play the 'I didn't know' card. What can really happen other than a verbal warning?

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Try some tidal rivers like the ouse just south of Lewes quite a bit turns up you know.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Lewes has so much history, the downs around the town must be a good place to start.

I own a Minelab Explorer, that I bought 2nd hand from a friend. I've not had a chance to use it much, other than finding modern cash on beaches in North Devon, and a silver shilling at my allotment.

I must get out and have a go, especially as there are many local roman sites and old roads to explore.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
In the mid 90's we used to go down the beach and do what teenagers do. There was this guy who used to walk up and down the beach with his metal detector and everytime he went past we would hide a can under the pebbles where we thought he would next walk by. Amused us for hours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here