Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fly fishing in Sussex - anybody do it?

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Yo hey,

I'm thinking about taking up fly fishing as a change to coarse/carp fishing. Does anyone on here go fly fishing locally (in Sussex)? Any recommendations for venues or clubs?

:fishing:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There is a fishing guide I know personally known locally as Fishy Rob, Robin Howard. He covers nearly all aspects of shore and estuary fishing and has recently taken to doing Fly Fishing too. Here is his website with more information. There is not much up on the Fly at the moment but it's all worth a look and he is a wonderful coach.

http://www.sportingfish.co.uk/index.html

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
There is a fishing guide I know personally known locally as Fishy Rob, Robin Howard. He covers nearly all aspects of shore and estuary fishing and has recently taken to doing Fly Fishing too. Here is his website with more information. There is not much up on the Fly at the moment but it's all worth a look and he is a wonderful coach.

http://www.sportingfish.co.uk/index.html

Fishy Rob is a top, top instructor in most forms of angling.

I have been fly fishing on just three occasions, but find it the most rewarding fishing of any kind. I have only been to Chalk Farm near Arundel, which is a stocked fishery, but it allows you to buy a ticket for 2, 3 or 4 fish which allows you to tailor the cost you your skill level. a 2 fish ticket is about £25, but with some knowledge or instruction you are ALMOST guaranteed to catch, you don't get that in other disciplines. It is also a nice way to spend 3 or 4 hours in a semi rural location, at peace with the world with a minimum of kit and equipment to lug about.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
long time since i fished, but i recall they did fly fishing at Barcombe and Arlington reservoirs.

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
i have met fishyrob on a number of occasions and can confirm the brilliance of his professionalism and skill.

I have also gone fly fishing at chalk springs near Arundel, it has some of the best trout fishing in the country and some see as it only second to that of dever springs in Hampshire.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I can't help with venues in Sussex, I'm afraid, but if you ever want to do some chalk stream fishing on the Itchen, just South of Winchester, drop me a PM, as I have access to 1 mile double bank at a very low (for game fishing) price, as well as some Test fishing near Romsey.

Good luck!

(From the banks of the Ouse, trying for a BIG barbel. No barbel yet, but a few crayfish :nono: )

EDIT: back home - no barbel :tantrum:

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
One of my mates that I go Carp fishing with has until recently fly fished all his life. He used to travel to Hampshire the majority of the time. I don't know tpoo much about it but I do know that it is incredibly expensive.

Thats because Hampshire is the mecca for fly fishing, the chalk streams of the Itchen and places like Dever Springs are fantastic.
I went fly fishing last week and caught a 3 pound bluebottle.
Anyway, hilarious jokes aside I had a lesson at Roger Daltrey's place which was really good so worth a try.
There was also an episode of Go Fishing when John Wilson was at a day ticket fly fishing lake near Nutley cant remember what it was called but no doubt it is on you tube, it looked great.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here