Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Extending a lease on a flat

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I get the impression a lot of people in Brighton are going to get horribly screwed over by this antiquated system in the coming years. :(

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
There's 25 flats in the block, and have 68 years left.

ok well 25 flats you are going to struggle to organise a freehold purchase. i suggest the first thing to do is to establish how much the freeholder wants to extend the lease to whatever number of years you want - at least 99 i suggest. once you have an indication of what he wants then think about seeking professional advice. Stewart Grey of Austin Grey valued the freehold of my building when we bought the freehold and would no doubt be able to advise on the cost of a lease extension versus what the freeholder is seeking.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Am I right in thinking that the freeholder is legally obliged to extend the lease at a reasonable cost?

Maverick

Jun 1, 2011
I work for an estate agents and lease extensions can be a nightmare! It all depends on what the freeholder wants to charge, you will need to approach him in the first instance. There is supposed to be a formula that freeholders keep to but it can vary hugely. I have dealt with lease extensions ranging from around 4k up to 20k! It still amazes me that solicitors fees for doing this work would be no more than a grand and the rest of the money goes to the freeholder for doing relatively nothing. something needs to change. I assume you are looking to sell the flat? if so we usually will get an idea on the cost of the extension and factor this into the asking price, most buyers will then be happy to contribute or pay for it themselves, although my understanding is you cannot extended the lease unless you have owned the property for at least two years, this means that you would have to start the ball rolling so to speak and once completion happens the buyer would take over. You will need to speak to your solicitor to find out the best way to do this. Just remember whatever the freeholder quotes you is not set in stone and you can negotiate it! Most people don't realise this. Good luck, if you have any other questions let me know. :)

the slow norris

Feb 8, 2005
Suffolk
We extended a lease on a 270k flat with a 71 yr lease for 13500 4 yrs ago. If we had extended it when we bought it 4 yrs earlier it would only have cost 8500. So if you are thinking of doing it, do it sooner than later.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
We extended a lease on a 270k flat with a 71 yr lease for 13500 4 yrs ago. If we had extended it when we bought it 4 yrs earlier it would only have cost 8500. So if you are thinking of doing it, do it sooner than later.

Absolutley. Try not to let your lease go under 80years and never buy a flat with a low lease.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Categoric recommendation coming here.

Andrew Pridell of AP Associates has acted for my family several times. The process, using him, is very straightforward. He will pin the freeholder down, drive the extension through quickly and ensure you are not overcharged. As a Fellow of the RICS he is hardly a JCL. Unexpectedly, he is also great fun to deal with.

His office is in The Drive. tel 01273 202620.

Incidentally, it is wrong to say you should never buy a flat with a short lease. You can, but make sure the price more than reflects the maximum price of extending it.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Most depressing 18k I've ever spent. But would have been cheaper if I'd done it sooner. Do not delay is my advice. The freeholder has you over a barrel, and in my case showed no mercy.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
Most depressing 18k I've ever spent. But would have been cheaper if I'd done it sooner. Do not delay is my advice. The freeholder has you over a barrel, and in my case showed no mercy.

Did it not add at least 18k to the value of your place?

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
As others have posted, the sooner you get this done the better. The cost will increase each year.

Arrange for an independent valuation, and then provide this to the freeholder.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Did it not add at least 18k to the value of your place?

It didn't add value, it just stopped the value from plummeting. I let it run down to 65 years which was silly. It would have been impossible to sell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here