Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trains : Both the Westcoastway and Mainline out of Brighton seriously disrupted .

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
2 people hit by trains - at Horley and Shoreham.

Services now running on the slow lines via Horley, service suspended between Brighton and Worthing. The incidents both involved services from the West Coastway line.

Disruption will occur for the rest of the day.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Mainline about to fully reopen, involved service being taken back to Horley. Shoreham incident occurred at the Eastern Avenue LC, involving a Portsmouth - Brighton service.

A fair bit of praise for Southern staff on Twitter too, seems unusual.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Gave up on my trip to smoke today when I arrived at Shoreham just as the 2nd incident occurred.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Are there any public stats regarding people being bit by trains. It seems to be a lot more frequent these days.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Are there any public stats regarding people being bit by trains. It seems to be a lot more frequent these days.

My own stat is that it does seem more common in Autumn/Winter and always around the Purley area. When Im at say London Bridge and sadly a fatality has happened, over the tannoy its usually followed by "in the Purley or South Croydon area"

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I wonder how the removal of seats has helped reduce the risks

At a guess it might make potential suicides easier to spot as sitting down you would maybe appear normal, even if you were there a long while. Pacing about on a platform might flag you up? No real idea.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My own stat is that it does seem more common in Autumn/Winter and always around the Purley area. When Im at say London Bridge and sadly a fatality has happened, over the tannoy its usually followed by "in the Purley or South Croydon area"

The suicide rate generally (as opposed to just on the railways) peaks in winter. Particularly around Christmas I think. If you're feeling in despair, the short, dark days & the myth that everybody else is enjoying fun times with their families would magnify that a hundredfold, I should think.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The suicide rate generally (as opposed to just on the railways) peaks in winter. Particularly around Christmas I think. If you're feeling in despair, the short, dark days & the myth that everybody else is enjoying fun times with their families would magnify that a hundredfold, I should think.

Always seemed to me that peak jumper season was mid-January. Maybe because January is always grim and gloomy and depressing for everyone anyways, and then the post-Xmas-binge credit card bills start to arrive. Last year it got so bad that they finally started putting up Samaritans poster in prominent spots in stations such as East Croydon. Welcome move.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
At a guess it might make potential suicides easier to spot as sitting down you would maybe appear normal, even if you were there a long while. Pacing about on a platform might flag you up? No real idea.

That is about the right answer Nibble, Mind you if someone is determined to kill themselves they'll find a way of doing it regardless of any measures that are put in place.

el punal

My daughter, who lives in the Croydon area, told me that South Croydon station is/was notorious for suicides. Due mainly to the number of fast through trains and the easy accessibility to all the platforms. Measures have now been put in place to try to stop these tragic incidents by stopping access to certain areas of the station - hopefully successful.

Skylar

Banned
Jul 29, 2014
Just been speaking to the chap who phoned the police regarding the incident at Shoreham. I didn't know or hear about this till now. The suicide chap was sitting on the wall stroking his chin then jumped over the barrier and was hit, the bloke who just told me that when he looked over the barrier he saw a torso and arms and the head were laying on the tracks. He took a picture and must say it turned my stomach.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here