Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Couldn't make it up......

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
If Scotland votes for independence,

Standard Life to move staff/operations south to England (confirmed).

Lloyd's to move HQ from Scotland to London (announcement expected in morning).

Now the best bit......

Bank of Scotland to move HQ to London! (rumoured). That would be fxxkin hilarious!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What would add to that is if Orkneys and Shetland then declare they demand a referendum and decide for independence from Scotland or, better still, to rejoin the Union. Large slice of Salmond's projected oil revenues disappear.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Just looked at the latest survey and the 'NO' vote is winning...how can they say these surveys are a true reflection of voters (...most are based on 1,000 voters view.)..so you collar a 1,000 (a small amount amongst the thousands upon thousands of voters) and you happen to get more answers from the 'YES' or 'NO' Camp...and then say they are leading in the polls. The truth is nobody knows.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Just looked at the latest survey and the 'NO' vote is winning...how can they say these surveys are a true reflection of voters (...most are based on 1,000 voters view.)..so you collar a 1,000 (a small amount amongst the thousands upon thousands of voters) and you happen to get more answers from the 'YES' or 'NO' Camp...and then say they are leading in the polls. The truth is nobody knows.

I flew from London to Edinburgh today, then traveled onto Stirling where I spent the day before heading back to Edinburgh this evening and flying home.

When I watch the News each evening it seems Scotland is in a hotbed of feverish referendum meltdown. However, I can honestly say I didn't see one single "Yes" poster or one "No" poster. Maybe I wasn't really looking, but I'm using fairly tuned in. :shrug:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I doubt all these firms will really move, will they? Isn't it just some sort of crappy threat?

On a lesser scale, I seem to recall Paul Daniels insisting he (and presumably The Lovely Debbie McGee) would leave the country in 1997 if Labour got in. Funnily enough, he never got round to calling Pickford's and is still, to my knowledge, at home in Berkshire.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Now the best bit......

Bank of Scotland to move HQ to London! (rumoured). That would be fxxkin hilarious!

Same thing happened in Canada when it looked like Quebec might leave Canada. Bank of Montreal keeps its corporate HQ in Montreal for appearances, but the Chairman, President etc will be found in Toronto. If you want to know if a separation is a good idea, watch the banks.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
But that does not make sense as Lloyds Bank Hq is already in Gresham Street London and Lloyds own the Bank of Scotland.

That said I do expect several companies to move south if they do get independence.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
But that does not make sense as Lloyds Bank Hq is already in Gresham Street London and Lloyds own the Bank of Scotland.

That said I do expect several companies to move south if they do get independence.
They're corporations. They have balance sheets, not politics -- and certainly not consciences.

They'll move their HQ to Tegucigalpa if you offer them enough tax breaks....

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

A friend of mine was up touring Scotland 2 weeks ago, and he told me that many no voters are keeping their mouths shut, because there are more than just a few rabid Scottish Nationalist yes voters whose main form of argument involves planting a Glasgow kiss on anyone who wants to vote no! :eek:

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Clydesdale Bank have now also confirmed they will move South.

Thats another Scottish bank moving to England (though they do also own the Yorkshire BS). Stagecoach Group (Buses, Trains etc) reported to be making contingency plans too, which is embarrassing for their owner.....who is one of the biggest donors for the Yes campaign.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I doubt all these firms will really move, will they? Isn't it just some sort of crappy threat?

On a lesser scale, I seem to recall Paul Daniels insisting he (and presumably The Lovely Debbie McGee) would leave the country in 1997 if Labour got in. Funnily enough, he never got round to calling Pickford's and is still, to my knowledge, at home in Berkshire.

They have already set up registered companies in England to where they will transfer assets.

An independent Scotland's economy would have a more serious exposure to financial services companies and banks than the rUK economy (believe it or not) and as it won't control its own currency it won't have a lender of last resort to bail them out if they were in trouble.

The board's of these companies would be failing to protect shareholders and customers if they did not transfer the assets to a more secure economic environment.

Doesn't necessarily mean everyone loses their jobs in Scotland but the financial services sector will shrink significantly.

No doubt some may consider that to be a positive........

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Sorry, should correct myself, Royal Bank of Scotland.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I flew from London to Edinburgh today, then traveled onto Stirling where I spent the day before heading back to Edinburgh this evening and flying home.

When I watch the News each evening it seems Scotland is in a hotbed of feverish referendum meltdown. However, I can honestly say I didn't see one single "Yes" poster or one "No" poster. Maybe I wasn't really looking, but I'm using fairly tuned in. :shrug:
That's interesting to hear, I too assumed everyone was going nuts.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
If Scotland votes for independence,

Standard Life to move staff/operations south to England (confirmed).

Lloyd's to move HQ from Scotland to London (announcement expected in morning).

Now the best bit......

Lloyds HQ remains in England for 200+ years, BOS remains with them & RBS is majority owned' by Us/gov( vast majority in England), Standard Life majority customer base is English

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here