Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Invictus Games 2014 - Thread

Just watching the opening ceremony on BBC1. Didn't know anything about the events or games.

Inspired by the US Warrior Games

Made up of service men and women from all over the world that have been injured in action in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The sheer bravery and determination is just incredible.

'You tell an injured Royal Marine Commando 'you can't do that' and he'll say 'you watch me''

Am feeling quite emotional ! As for Prince Harry who inspired the games - have to say he has gone up in my estimation, big time.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
They're all heroes.

I also have a lot of time for Prince Harry - he seems incredibly down to earth and that he'd genuinely rather spend his life in the military than bothering with the whole royal engagement stuff

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
...I had the extra enjoyment of watching my daughter and her husband in the arena,... spotted both doing their bit.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Red arrows flew past my house earlier. Assume they were doing a fly past for the opening ceremony.

Have to say I'm fairly impressed by Harry. He seems to be a half decent bloke.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Reporter on the news to Harry, "you do realise that Kate being pregnant again sets you back in line for thr throne"
Harry, " Good"
I have always thought he was alright.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
He goes up in my estimation every time I hear him speak, which isn't often but I like him

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Harry is a top bloke.

Whether one agrees or disagrees with the ways in which the athletes got their injuries, one has to admire the bravery and determination of the individuals. Good luck to them all.

Lovecake

Jul 23, 2011
Just watching the opening ceremony on BBC1. Didn't know anything about the events or games.

Inspired by the US Warrior Games

Made up of service men and women from all over the world that have been injured in action in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The sheer bravery and determination is just incredible.

'You tell an injured Royal Marine Commando 'you can't do that' and he'll say 'you watch me''

Am feeling quite emotional ! As for Prince Harry who inspired the games - have to say he has gone up in my estimation, big time.

What time was it on? Can't find it anywhere on iPlayer.

I had the absolute pleasure of meeting two of the competitors for Britain in London the other day. Both were archers and they were both incredibly proud to be part of the games. It's a brilliant idea and as a lot of people have said it's quite emotional watching such brave people competing so hard depsite their injuries.

What time was it on? Can't find it anywhere on iPlayer.

I had the absolute pleasure of meeting two of the competitors for Britain in London the other day. Both were archers and they were both incredibly proud to be part of the games. It's a brilliant idea and as a lot of people have said it's quite emotional watching such brave people competing so hard depsite their injuries.

Was on the One Show, BBC1 7pm tonight. Will be on over the next 4 days.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Does make you think about moaning regarding a cr@p day at work or quite irrelevant daily complaints. These guys really DID have a bad day at the office.

The effort put in by all competitors is superb.

Last edited:

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
http://invictusgames.org/competitors/

The website lists all the competitors and what happened to them.

There's a category of competition for people with psychological disorders such as PTSD; didn't occur to me that would be covered too. War changes people in a number of ways

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here