Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can you sell an iPhone that you lost and already claimed on ?

hopkins

Banned
Nov 6, 2003
Brighton
I found mine after I'd made a claim. I believe apple switch the phone off some how. Is there any way of getting it started again ?

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
So, you now have 2 iPhones, one new one from insurance and one old one you lost and you want to sell the one you lost and claimed against? Surely that's fraud...

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I don't know but I suspect you had to record the IMEI number on your insurance so that device is now registered as lost/stolen. If it starts getting used again you'd have to expect it would flag up somewhere.

But you could contact your insurance company and say you've now found it. You'll probably be surprised what they say....

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
My mate bought a second hand iphone 4 years ago. All unlocked, a pretty good deal, then after a year it suddenly locked on him and he couldn't get it unlocked. Took it to Apple and they said it had been reported stolen the day before it locked.

It turns out that although he bought the phone legitimately, the previous owner still had it on his insurance so decided to have a cheeky claim up against it even though he'd sold it a year earlier. Which locked it. What a ******!

Premiership Dream

Nov 16, 2011
it will be useless as imei number will be deleted so the phone can not be used in this country..........how ever the Asian guys will still buy it and take it home as it will work there

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't know but I suspect you had to record the IMEI number on your insurance so that device is now registered as lost/stolen. If it starts getting used again you'd have to expect it would flag up somewhere.

But you could contact your insurance company and say you've now found it. You'll probably be surprised what they say....

The police found a tv that we had stolen during a burglary when searching a property for another crime. We had already been paid out by the insurance company. After a while the police told us that we could have it back. I rang the insurance company to tell them, but they weren't interested, so we had two tvs.
Obviously a phone is different but it's worth a try.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here