Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Emergency flight to the States

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Complete left field question for those that know about getting into the States.

I need to get an engineer to the States tomorrow - he will either be English or Icelandic ( haven't decide which one to send yet ). Is it possible to just buy a flight and deal with entry visas the other end or must he have a visa before travelling ? And yes, I'm checking with the American Embassy but getting through appears to be difficult so I thought I'd ask NSC in the meantime.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Good luck - you don't mess with US immigration. If you're going to admit he/she is working, there's no chance they will let him/her in if they just turn up. Persevere with trying to go through channels, but I have a feeling they'll ask why you can't hire a US-based engineer.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
See if you can find someone who already has an active ESTA, that will move things along. If not you could try getting them to apply through the website as approval can be instant.

Apart from that it depends on how long they are going to be in the US. If they're only going for a few days it shouldn't be an issue.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Assuming what they're doing does not need a work visa: ESTA needs to be done 72 hours before travel for the visa waiver programme but if they already have a valid one from a previous trip its not an issue - I believe they stay valid for 2 years.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They might wonder about such a hastily-booked flight. And if they suspect someone's planning to work on an ESTA, expect big trouble.

This. You cannot expect to send a guy out there and work on a ESTA. If they get wind of the fact he even might work, and refuse him entry, then this will stick to him like mud in the future and affect not only future US entry but entry into other countries. This happened to a girl I know.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
They might wonder about such a hastily-booked flight. And if they suspect someone's planning to work on an ESTA, expect big trouble.

This. You cannot expect to send a guy out there and work on a ESTA. If they get wind of the fact he even might work, and refuse him entry, then this will stick to him like mud in the future and affect not only future US entry but entry into other countries. This happened to a girl I know.

I've looked up ESTA rules and it does say you can use it for business as well as pleasure. I'm now looking for a definition of 'business'.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I've looked up ESTA rules and it does say you can use it for business as well as pleasure. I'm now looking for a definition of 'business'.

Only if business involves the following:

consult with business associates
attend a scientific, educational, professional, or business convention or conference
attend short-term training (you may not be paid by any source in the United States with the exception of expenses incidental to your stay)
negotiate a contract

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

Is this an engineer who's going to be hitting stuff with hammers, or an engineer who's going to be telling someone in the same firm what to do for a day or two?

Extremely basically, the first requires a work visa, the second doesn't

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

"Business" does not mean work though. What is your engineer doing? The term in the context of ESTA relates to meetings, conferences or research etc. The full definition can be found on the US Embassy website I believe.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Only if business involves the following:

consult with business associates
attend a scientific, educational, professional, or business convention or conference
attend short-term training (you may not be paid by any source in the United States with the exception of expenses incidental to your stay)
negotiate a contract

Even working without pay is prohibited.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
"Foreign travelers coming to the United States to conduct temporary business, for example business meetings and consultations, attending conventions and conferences, or negotiating contracts, need visitor visas unless they qualify for entry under the Visa Waiver Program."

http://www.travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/business.html

A UK passport holder, with the right of permanent abode in the UK, and an Icelandic passport holder are both able to travel on the ESTA VWP.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Westdean. If only the US was part of the EU...you'd have none of this panic and hassle :wink:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Is this an engineer who's going to be hitting stuff with hammers, or an engineer who's going to be telling someone in the same firm what to do for a day or two?

Extremely basically, the first requires a work visa, the second doesn't

"Business" does not mean work though. What is your engineer doing? The term in the context of ESTA relates to meetings, conferences or research etc. The full definition can be found on the US Embassy website I believe.

To install and configure a Cisco phone system - this would seem to be allowed under this :

Engineer(s) install, service or repair commercial or industrial equipment
or machinery sold by a non
-
U.S. company to a U.S. buyer, when
specifically required by the purchase contract. Installation cannot
include
construction work, except for supervision or training of U.S.
workers to perform construction.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good luck - you don't mess with US immigration.

This. I have some amusing stories of trying to get into the US. My big tip is never travel without luggage. This sets off alarm bells.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To install and configure a Cisco phone system - this would seem to be allowed under this :

Engineer(s) install, service or repair commercial or industrial equipment
or machinery sold by a non
-
U.S. company to a U.S. buyer, when
specifically required by the purchase contract. Installation cannot
include
construction work, except for supervision or training of U.S.
workers to perform construction.

Cisco is a well known US company so it does not qualify under this definition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here