Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official I Love Scotland, Scots and Scotch thread…(PLEASE IGNORE SCOTLAND BASHERS!)

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm getting tired of the Scot bashing. I love Scotland and the Scots. :love:

Wonderful part of the world. The landscapes, their cities, their hospitality.

If they vote yes, I sincerely hope we make the transition as painless as possible, lets try to keep our relationship as close to what it is now. I'd rather I was able to spend my hard earned pounds when I visit there, that I can still drive in without any paperwork, that I could move and work there if I so wished, or that I could employ a Scot as easily as I can now.

Too much talk of money money money. If that is all the Union is about, then to hell with it anyway.

I hope they stay, but if they don't I want to embrace their decision and attempt to ensure very little changes in real terms to the everyday person. Lets not play the part of the bitter ex.

:whisky:*

* this should really have the ice edited out...

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Genuine question as I haven't followed this too closely. If they vote yes and do not join the EU, are Scots allowed to move to other parts of Britain and live or would that make them illegal immigrants? Don't know how RoI residents can move over here when other countries can't. I guess there is something in a treaty somewhere but has any of this been agreed if Scotland do vote yes? I'm sure it is a non issue and no PM in their right mind (!) would sign off on banning Scots from moving here but I wonder how it works in theory because as I understand it, Scotland don't want the Euro. No Euro, no EU. No EU, no immigration rights.

Edit - yes I know RoI is in the EU now but there is a long history of Irish immigrants so I'm interested if there is an historical element from the various treaties over the years.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Hoots mon

craig-mackail-smith-007.jpg

Genuine question as I haven't followed this too closely. If they vote yes and do not join the EU, are Scots allowed to move to other parts of Britain and live or would that make them illegal immigrants? Don't know how RoI residents can move over here when other countries can't. I guess there is something in a treaty somewhere but has any of this been agreed if Scotland do vote yes? I'm sure it is a non issue and no PM in their right mind (!) would sign off on banning Scots from moving here but I wonder how it works in theory because as I understand it, Scotland don't want the Euro. No Euro, no EU. No EU, no immigration rights.

Edit - yes I know RoI is in the EU now but there is a long history of Irish immigrants so I'm interested if there is an historical element from the various treaties over the years.
Irish citizens have always had free movement into the UK, It's enshrined in the UK Act of Parliament that legitimised Irish independence. I would assume the same will apply to Scotland.

We will have to wait to find out precisely how an independent Scotland defines Scottish citizenship - but my guess is that it won't be very different from Ireland and they will be very open to the concept of dual nationality.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The Official I Love Scotland, Scots and Scotch thread…(PLEASE IGNORE SCOTLAND...

Irish citizens have always had free movement into the UK, It's enshrined in the UK Act of Parliament that legitimised Irish independence. I would assume the same will apply to Scotland.

We will have to wait to find out precisely how an independent Scotland defines Scottish citizenship - but my guess is that it won't be very different from Ireland and they will be very open to the concept of dual nationality.

Applies to any EU member state now anyway, so assuming Scotland would stay part of the EU there are no restrictions. I'm not going to bash the Scots - spent lots of time up there, until very recently had a team of staff there and my daughter is at Uni in Edinburgh. It's a fabulous country. Oh, and I love haggis....but it needs to be part of the UK. Going it alone will be a disaster (more for the Scots than the rest of us). The (quite senior, well educated) people I work with in Scotland are all very much against separation.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Thanks - thought it would be something like that but I hadn't seen it mentioned in any of the news reports I have seen.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Have you seen the 'you bring it in, we'll deep fry it' places ? Deep fried pizza is particularly popular in chippies now too.

Bring it in? I've had the pizza sold and supplied by the chipper before...

Talisker and Irn Bru. Not at the same time / in the same glass of course.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
I love the Scottish and Scotland, but hope the union stays intact. If Scotland decide to leave the union then in order for Scottish nationals to live and work in the uk without visas they would need one of two things.
1. Membership of the EU (not guaranteed)
2. A reciprocal agreement with the united kingdom.

However it may be determined that as all Scottish nationals were born in the UK or have been uk citizens that they are entitled to dual nationality.

Finally, my question is are Scottish nationals eligable to be employed in defense, policing etc. If not by default then they would need dual nationality. Will the army (serving Scots) be forced to become Scottish soldiers or will it be optional ( as with the police etc? ).

The seperation to my mind is so difficult as the whole of the UK is so inter twined I would hate the job of sorting it out.

National computer systems for example, who pays for these to be migrated to 2 platforms and by when etc. Legally keeping say patient records in another soverign state would be fraught with legal ramifications and probable court action.

All the talk about oil and money misses some of the real problems with this in my view. IT contractors, prepare for a pay day!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Applies to any EU member state now anyway, so assuming Scotland would stay part of the EU there are no restrictions.

this is not a valid assumption. they will leave the EU, and they will have to apply to join. this will take several years to resolve, even if its amicable and various countries with itchy regions don't seek to make it difficult.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
One of the things I love in Scotland is the deep fat fried mars bars

And the wonderful coronary care facilities at Glasgow Royal Infirmary i take it too !!

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath

Never understood why this should be so, it shouldn't be as far as I'm concerned , nor should Scots have free movement if there is a yes vote , even if they gain EU membership they will be an accession country and thus we will have avsay on as and when they are allowed free movement, if they want to be independent , then be independent , they shouldn't be allowed to cherry pick the good bits.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
there are no precedents in EU history
Scotland is already a country in the EU
if it breaks its union of countries within the uk
it could still be classed as a country within the EU
it is all up for grabs
certainly there are countries notably Spain that may
want to make it difficult because of their own independent
wanting regions .Some may want to insist that Scotland pledge to
join the € but it is all conjecture.
The democratic credibility of the EU is on the line