Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you live in a house clinging to a cliff?

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
_77475356_cliffhouse976.jpg

Well?

I wouldn't!

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Errrrrrrrrrrrr let me think???? No flipping way!
I hope those supports are sunk in about a half mile.
Photoshopped or real?

"It might look precarious - and a hostage to coastal erosion - but there's no reason why the design shouldn't be structurally sound, says Maxwell Hutchinson, a former president of the Royal Institute of British Architects. Cantilever beams drilled into the rock could support the building just as crampons support a climber"

:moo:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i'd be more worried about the car tbf.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Can you imagine stumbling home from the pub to that!

*Splash*

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
The people on Grand Designs last week built their new house only a few feet from a cliff edge. The local council said they wouldn't install sea defences as it wasn't cost effective to do so (probably quite correctly).

The couple planted a few weeds on the cliff face to try and offer some protection against erosion, but ultimately they reckoned the place probably had fifty to sixty years before the sea would claim it.

They'll both be dead by then so I don't suppose it'll affect them too much, but it seemed a slight shame to burn all that money on such a short term project.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The people on Grand Designs last week built their new house only a few feet from a cliff edge. The local council said they wouldn't install sea defences as it wasn't cost effective to do so (probably quite correctly).

The couple planted a few weeds on the cliff face to try and offer some protection against erosion, but ultimately they reckoned the place probably had fifty to sixty years before the sea would claim it.

They'll both be dead by then so I don't suppose it'll affect them too much, but it seemed a slight shame to burn all that money on such a short term project.

Saw that as well. Think they were originally estimating about 60 years then they had the violent storms of last winter which took out about 10 years worth of erosion overnight. A few more like that!!!!

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

Weren't they eventually told that they could get away replacing any eroded cliff face with the same substance, so basically they can dig up the surrounding countryside to dump it onto the cliff and reinforce it? That seemed like it'd make it last longer.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Weren't they eventually told that they could get away replacing any eroded cliff face with the same substance, so basically they can dig up the surrounding countryside to dump it onto the cliff and reinforce it? That seemed like it'd make it last longer.

Yep, but I think they still only thought they'd get another ten years max out of it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Was the cliff the most worrying thing, or their apparent enjoyment of knowing all the walkers along the cliff path could see straight into their en-suite shower!?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here