Votes: 21 14.9%
  • 2000s

Votes: 69 48.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
For once, 80s music has inspired me or, more accurately, the plethora of threads that have cropped up on here about it have inspired me to produce the poll. Because the answer to the question posed by this thread's title has an obvious winner for me, but what about you?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Looking at the 90s lists people have chosen so far it did made me think that actually the much maligned 80s weren't so bad after all.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's all so personal. There are examples of good music and bad music in every decade. But the one that we lived through, the soundtrack to our most formative moments will be the one people like most.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Might be my age but the 70's especially the late 70s and punk was pretty dire IMO, especially in the singles market. All the best bands only released albums. I know I'll get crucified because NSC has so many punk fans. Early 70's was just dross, Leo Sayer, Baccarat, Sweet, Mud etc, all mindless drivel and punk was well just unsavoury... I'll butt out now.

I was spoilt growing up in the 60's, I guess.

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
1970s only really got going from 1977. With the exception of Bowie, 1970-1976 was pretty dire.

Agreed, the 70s did seem to struggle a tad, although I feel personally the pretentious arty clap-trap that IS Bowie would not have been allowed to flourish otherwise.

Just a view mind.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
every looks back with fond nostalgia on the good and have their favorite albums and artists of the time. but what did mainstream 80's music give us that was a signifcant and persistant influence on music today? too early to say on the 00's, though it was pretty much a decade of revision, so will probably beat the 80's in the long term.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
1970s only really got going from 1977. With the exception of Bowie, 1970-1976 was pretty dire.

Can
Kraftwerk
Neu
Cluster
Iggy and the Stooges
New York Dolls
Tom Waits' first albums
Randy Newman
Joni Mitchell
Neil Young
Marvin Gaye
Stevie Wonder
David Ackles
Todd Rundgren
John Cale

A golden age for reggae: Bob Marley, Burning Spear, Augustus Pablo, Mighty Diamonds, Abyssinians, Toots etc ...

Yes, clearly no music at all before 1977 ... :facepalm:

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
70's was dire? Wow. I wasn't even born until the 80's but the 70's was clearly an amazing time for music. I could list all the great bands/albums but it would go on forever.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Can
Kraftwerk
Neu
Cluster
Iggy and the Stooges
New York Dolls
Tom Waits' first albums
Randy Newman
Joni Mitchell
Neil Young
Marvin Gaye
Stevie Wonder
David Ackles
Todd Rundgren
John Cale

A golden age for reggae: Bob Marley, Burning Spear, Augustus Pablo, Mighty Diamonds, Abyssinians, Toots etc ...

Yes, clearly no music at all before 1977 ... :facepalm:

Point taken regards reggae which, for me was the golden era for that genre. I thought of Marley the second after I posted.
I will give you Marvin Gaye & Stevie Wonder. Neil Young was hit & miss, as he is most decades.

Each to there own and all that

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Music peaked in 1972 :) and then a slow decline till mid 80s then fell off a cliff, built from the blues to 72 tho' . Isn't music just so personal!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
If 2010+ was an option, I'd go for that. Music, like culture in general, has become tedious, unoriginal, brainless garbage. Perhaps money suppresses creativity...

Is it that surprising that things are unoriginal now? The artists in the 50s-90s had a fairly blank template to work with in terms of 'popular music,' but how many different or original tunes can you squeeze out of a six string guitar or an eight octave keyboard?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
2000's mainly utter crap

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here