Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weird question but does anyone know what this is?.....

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
20140909_190934.jpg20140909_190934.jpg

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Blimey IL, you could have stayed on the geeks thread and I'd have told you straight away that it's Lords and Ladies. The flower, which came before those berries, is rather lovely, but they stink as their method of pollination is to attract flies, a bit like stinkhorn mushrooms.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
We always called the German stick Grenades as kids.

We always called Bindweed, or convolvulus to give it it's latin name, 'granny pop out the bed'. That's because we'd pick the flowers and squeeze them at the base to make them jump out of their 'bed'. We used to pick plantain stalks too and wind the stem round like you hold the shoe laces for conkers and then slid it up fast to ping the head like a catapult. We'd cut sycamore sticks and carve them into 'dutch arrows' using playing cards as flights and launch them amazing distances with just a shoe lace. And there's a certain kind of grass seed head that looks like a giant hairy caterpillar and if you stick it between your outstretched bare forearms and rub your arms together it wiggles up your arms just like a caterpillar....and and and........oh how I loved my childhood

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I've done some research and it appears they are called Arum italicum. I've got a couple in my garden.

I would put it as Arum maculatum. The A. italicum has silver veined leaves.

Lovely woodland plant, fairly exotic leaves followed the berries which, as mentioned, are very poisonous.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
We always called Bindweed, or convolvulus to give it it's latin name, 'granny pop out the bed'. That's because we'd pick the flowers and squeeze them at the base to make them jump out of their 'bed'. We used to pick plantain stalks too and wind the stem round like you hold the shoe laces for conkers and then slid it up fast to ping the head like a catapult. We'd cut sycamore sticks and carve them into 'dutch arrows' using playing cards as flights and launch them amazing distances with just a shoe lace. And there's a certain kind of grass seed head that looks like a giant hairy caterpillar and if you stick it between your outstretched bare forearms and rub your arms together it wiggles up your arms just like a caterpillar....and and and........oh how I loved my childhood

Was that on PlayStation or xBox?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
This.

Life was just so much simpler back then.

I still get loads of pleasure out of passing all those things onto my own kids now and watching them struggle forever to try to get a sound out of a blade of grass stretched between their thumbs :thumbsup:

What's missing for them though is that we did all those things ourselves, without an adult in sight until it was to time to go home for your tea. Kids today may have more 'things' but with less freedom to run wild I sometimes feel sad for them.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here