Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Best thing to do in Sussex as a child?

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Two words: Pirates Deep.

Amazing, dangerous, fun place.

Two kids got taken away by ambulance at my 6th Birthday Party. Nothing like some boisterous rough and tumble. Character building really.

Sadly, it'd never get past Health and Safety inspectors these days.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I can't remember much.....Tilgate Park for sure and (no longer possible :( ) watching the glass animal man whilst on visits to Brighton.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Golf at East Brighton, was £1 + 8p VAT for a single round OR the same £1 +8p VAT for an annual junior membership (btw Bruce Forsyth said I had a great swing, which has now grown into a slice sadly)

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Nicking sweets from the local VG store

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Have a look through the ladies underwear section in a catalogue shopping book, to try and seek out any hint of nip or flange.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I quite enjoyed visiting the Withdeen every week!

When there's no football, I guess Brighton sea front had a lot to offer.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
The Dolphinarium was great for a child, but were they bona fide conservationists or were they cruel money sucking ********s?

Pirates Deep was amazing. Why did it disappear?

I'm sure a kid died, or was that urban myth?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The Dolphinarium was great for a child, but were they bona fide conservationists or were they cruel money sucking ********s?

I think they were just Of Their Time. They certainly weren't conservationists, that too small pool was pretty grotty and it took in the end real conservationists to activate an airlift for the (three?) dolphins to a far more suitable habitat. Great if you were a kid at the time tho eh, you could lie that it was your birthday and get selected for towing round the pool in that wee rowing boat and then go down to the cafe and peer through the gloom at the dolphins through that wall-length window while eating your Cheesy Wotsits. It never seemed cruel by the standards of the time, but patently was for the beautiful supersmart creatures. Seems like a world away.

And don't get me STARTED on the monkey on a string you could get photographed with at the entrance to the West Pier.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I think they were just Of Their Time. They certainly weren't conservationists, that too small pool was pretty grotty and it took in the end real conservationists to activate an airlift for the (three?) dolphins to a far more suitable habitat. Great if you were a kid at the time tho eh, you could lie that it was your birthday and get selected for towing round the pool in that wee rowing boat and then go down to the cafe and peer through the gloom at the dolphins through that wall-length window while eating your Cheesy Wotsits.

It does bring back happy memories, but it doesn't sit easy.

I was transported back in time the other day. Took a load of SEN kids to the Guildford Spectrum for a skate. Last time I was there, it seemed brand spanking new. Skates almost as old a me, decrepit corridors, a Wimpy and people with a fashion sense locked in the 80s. Wimpy! They had run out of cutlery and plates though, unless their ideals have changed.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
And don't get me STARTED on the monkey on a string you could get photographed with at the entrance to the West Pier.

Excellent blast from the past. We seemed to spend all our time on the downs or fighting Hangleton over at the (now defunct) West Hove golf course

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
Jumping into the sea at high tide at saltdean , had to time the waves as they crashed against the wall !

Bunking into the lido when the lifeguards weren't looking , then running to get your towel and laid down so you looked like you'd been there all day.....

Bunking into saltdean Butlins in the summer to use the pool and then sneak up to the arcade to play the fruities !!!

Happy , carefree days ..........

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Before they built Moulscoomb station, climbing up the bridge, getting through a gap in the fence and seeing who could get closest to the trains as they came past at about 5000mph.
"Borowing" golf balls as they came over the hill at Hollingbury.
Throwing dog shit at the parkie in Saunders park.
Waiting till someone went into the bog at Carden Avenue bus stop for a poo then lobbing a lit banger in the window (got punched in the gob by a red faced man for that one).

Never needed an Xbox...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here