Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will any of the home nations qualify for Euro 2016?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
It seems harder not to qualify for England, currently in a very weak group and have already beaten arguably the hardest team they will face, away from home.

How about the rest? will the new larger tournement see the likes of Wales, N.Ireland and Scotland in an international tournement?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I really hope so. Scotland / Ireland have a really tough group, but even third place gives the chance of a play-off.

Would like to see Wales make it, too.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Northern Ireland have a pretty easy group and they have just beaten one of the better teams away.

Faroes up next, win that and I think they will make it to the play offs at least.

Scotland make me laugh, laugh at England for being rubbish then celebrate a loss to Germany like a win.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I think Scotland and Ireland have a reasonable chance of 2nd place in that group, doubt either N. Ireland or Wales will make it though.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
•Wales
•Bosnia-Hercegovina
•Belgium
•Israel
•Cyprus
•Andorra

Surely Wales have a great chance of going through in that group. However they have a few stand out players, but will the squad be able to support them?

Goalkeepers
Hennessey
Williams
Letheren

Defenders
Chester
Williams
Matthews
Collins
Ricketts
Gunter
Taylor
Davies

Midfielders
Bale
King
Allen
Ledley
Huws
Williams
Ramsey
Williams
Vaughan
Robson-Kanu

Forwards
Church
Lawrence

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Not fussed, why should lower ranking teams qualify for a tournament just because Michel Plantini wants to gain a few more votes.

The European Championship has been good in the past because it was quality teams only and over in a relatively short period.

You should qualify on merit not by a lowering of standards.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
•Wales
•Bosnia-Hercegovina
•Belgium
•Israel
•Cyprus
•Andorra

Surely Wales have a great chance of going through in that group. However they have a few stand out players, but will the squad be able to support them?

Goalkeepers
Hennessey
Williams
Letheren

Defenders
Chester
Williams
Matthews
Collins
Ricketts
Gunter
Taylor
Davies

Midfielders
Bale
King
Allen
Ledley
Huws
Williams
Ramsey
Williams
Vaughan
Robson-Kanu

Forwards
Church
Lawrence

Who is "Lawrence" up front? That is a shocking forward line: when the dismal Simon Church is your main man, you're in desperate times.

Presume they'd rather stick Bale up front and hope Ramsey can pull the strings than go with the officially designated "strikers".

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Scotland wouldn't qualify even if they were grouped with Krakatoa and Atlantis.

But the Magnificent Tartan Army (great, GREAT fans) would still give their players a standing ovation if they managed an away point at one of those tricky venues. After all: they are only a WEE nation who can't be expected to do well.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Who is "Lawrence" up front? That is a shocking forward line: when the dismal Simon Church is your main man, you're in desperate times.

Presume they'd rather stick Bale up front and hope Ramsey can pull the strings than go with the officially designated "strikers".

I think it is Tom Lawrence of Man United, he has been in a couple of squads this season may have played under Giggs at the end of last season.

Terrible really.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
I think it is Tom Lawrence of Man United, he has been in a couple of squads this season may have played under Giggs at the end of last season.

Terrible really.

Ah right. Thanks.

That confirms I've never heard of him. And I thought we had it bad when Fabian Delph was picked.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Wales would normally have Sam Vokes too, but he is injured.

#straws

D

Deleted member 18477

I hope Wales, R.Ireland and N.Ireland qualify.

I hope Scotland don't!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
do think Wales has a good chance. England will. Scotland and NI not really much hope.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton

Terrible really.

He joined Leicester at the end of the transfer window

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I actually think Wales and Northern Ireland will both qualify.

And then we'll have the unedifying spectacle of a series of players, previously-thought-of as English (or worse, Canadian/Australian/Kiwi) suddenly proclaiming their allegiance to our Celtic cousins when all the hard work of qualifying has actually been done.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
But the Magnificent Tartan Army (great, GREAT fans) would still give their players a standing ovation if they managed an away point at one of those tricky venues. After all: they are only a WEE nation who can't be expected to do well.

Not that wee really the population of Scotland is 5.3 million, Denmark is only 5.6 and you'd expect them to qualify wouldn't you?

So which of these should qualify...

Denmark 5.6
Finland 5.4
Slovakia 5.4
Norway 5.1
Georgia 4.9
Ireland 4.6
Croatia 4.2

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I actually think Wales and Northern Ireland will both qualify.

And then we'll have the unedifying spectacle of a series of players, previously-thought-of as English (or worse, Canadian/Australian/Kiwi) suddenly proclaiming their allegiance to our Celtic cousins when all the hard work of qualifying has actually been done.

Neither will IMO. I can't see Wales finishing above either Belgium or Bosnia, with N. Ireland unlikely to out do Romania or Greece.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here