Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Like Princess Grace, Brighton can't take corners.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 3, 2012
In response to a moan elsewhere about there not being much Football stuff on here at the moment, I thought I would air this.

I took my wife to the Charlton match, sat high up in the West stand. She was a saints STH last year. After the match she agreed we played well and deserved to win, but noted how many corners we had, and how little we did with them. I must admit I have often thought the same, being disappointed when we so often don't even get the ball past the first man.

Is this historic, and will it change now with the still fairly recent intake of new signings, or are we no worse than anyone else in this respect, anyway.

And with regard to the headline, it harks back to the old joke: "What's the difference between Kevin Keegan and princess Grace of Monaco?" Answer: "Kevin Keegan can take corners."

DavidinSouthampton

Jan 3, 2012
We scored both our goals from corners in that game...

Agreed, and I did point that out, but it took an awful lot of corners, mostof which got nowhere.

PS - I know nobody's perfect, but I have almost given up expecting us to get anything from corners. Am I wrong?

DavidinSouthampton

Jan 3, 2012
Indeed, end of thread. Furthermore, Dunk's first goal was the next touch after Holla had taken a corner, can't ask for more than that!

Not end of thread. I am partly asking whether we are no better or worse than anyone else in this respect. is it just a reflection of more organised defending?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Agreed, and I did point that out, but it took an awful lot of corners, mostof which got nowhere.

PS - I know nobody's perfect, but I have almost given up expecting us to get anything from corners. Am I wrong?

We had 12 in the game, and scored from 2 of them. A 1 in 6 success rate would see you score one goal from corners in every match.

(Historically I actually agree with you - we've looked unthreatening from corners for years. Just a very odd game to use as an example. Hopefully Sami is teaching them how to make best use of them, now)

DavidinSouthampton

Jan 3, 2012
We had 12 in the game, and scored from 2 of them. A 1 in 6 success rate would see you score one goal from corners in every match.

(Historically I actually agree with you - we've looked unthreatening from corners for years. Just a very odd game to use as an example. Hopefully Sami is teaching them how to make best use of them, now)

I used that game as an example because my wife made the comment after that game. So a relatively impartial (she did jump up and scream at the 93rd minute equaliser) spectator who is used to watching football elsewhere commented that we wasted a lot of corners.

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
I'm sure I heart a stat once that a goal is scored from about 1 in 40 corners. By that I think it means first or second touch from the corner.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Not end of thread. I am partly asking whether we are no better or worse than anyone else in this respect. is it just a reflection of more organised defending?

We've been poor from corners for ages, at especially those poorly executed short corners which ended up not making it into the oppo box.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I'm sure I heart a stat once that a goal is scored from about 1 in 40 corners. By that I think it means first or second touch from the corner.

There was a thread on here a few months ago about the fact the on the whole the English are the only fans who get excited when a corner is won which foreign fans cannot understand due to the very small percentage of goals which are scored as a result of a corner

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As usual, especially for NSC, the Albion seem to be held to a higher standard than ALL other football teams.

The amount of corners, for each team in a match, is just about an ok reflection of attacking intent, nothing more.

For every minute spent training the perfect 'attacking' corner, I'd imagine the team spends 5 minutes training 'defending' corners.
It's ridiculous the believe corners are akin to goals.
In fairness it also beggars belief when we repeatedly hit their first man, or boot the ball out for a throw in.

As said hopefully The Hollacopters arrival will sort out last seasons woeful corner taking.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I would support the view that we have not been good at corners for sometime. When we get one I'm not expecting us to score, it is more of a dread that the opposing team will break away and score, which seems to happen more often than it should.

Hopefully the introduction of Sami and the goals against Charlton will seen an improvement in the ratio of goals we score from corners.

I feel that in recent years we may on worked more on the pattern of play as opposed to dead ball situations.

Just wonder if anyone can produce a table on percentage of goals from corners taken.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Agree with all of this. Holla's corners have looked very promising. It's just whether he takes them from both sides, or whether someone else (March, Teixiera, JFC?) is more appropriate from the other side.
We also need to mix corners up, but not too much. That is, some short, some inventive (eg Italy's goal against England in the World Cup), alongside the standard one.
And if Sami's success at corners at Liverpool is anything to go by, we could be in for a transformation here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here