Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
marrs-070914-l229-1902169_478x359.jpg

James Marrs
Image by: Geoff Penn

PUBLISHED
20:32 7th September 2014
by James Hilsum
They had their two opportunities and buried us which was the difference today. "
James Marrs

Brighton & Hove Albion women manager James Marrs believed his side lacked a clinical edge after a 2-0 defeat to Portsmouth at Culver Road.

Strikes from Nadine Bazan and Gemma Hillier in each half ended Albion’s 100 per cent start to the season and the Albion manager admitted there could be no excuses for missing so many chances.He told seagulls.co.uk, “It’s all well and good creating chances, but if you shoot straight at the goalkeeper or keep missing them then you aren’t going to score goals. We’ll have to look back at the analysis, but we had more clear-cut chances then they did and haven’t scored.
“Obviously you have to score goals to win games and you don’t have to be a scientist to work that one out. They had their two opportunities and buried us which was the difference today.
“Our finishing has been poor for a number of weeks and I’m just glad that the girls have now realised it is going to bite you on the backside if you don’t put your chances away. I wouldn’t say they were difficult chances to put away either really. If you’re one-on-one with the goalkeeper then I’d expect you to score at least 50 per cent of those chances.”

[h=2]LATEST NEWS FROM SEAGULLS.CO.UK[/h]

Marrs was also disappointed with Albion’s play off the ball, but was pleased to hand a debut to centre of excellence player Caroline Hodgson and welcome back Republic of Ireland international Sophie Perry, who has re-signed for the club following a move from Millwall Lionesses.“On the ball I thought we were okay, but our movement wasn’t good. Everything that was poor about our performance related to our off-the-ball work.
“We gave them too much space and thought we’d give a better account of ourselves today.
“We’re really thin on the ground now with regards to our squad. Therefore it’s always nice to sign players and give the youngsters opportunities. Sophie is a good player who brings a lot of experience to the side and I’m looking forward to working with her.
“Obviously it’s was good to give an opportunity to Caroline to show us what she can do. I will look to give the youngsters opportunities and if they’re performing well in training and have a good attitude, then I’m prepared to work with them and give them more chances.
“The 15 minutes she had today will only benefit her and hopefully she can push on from that and maybe get more chances in the first-team squad.”
[h=2]UPCOMING HOME FIXTURES[/h][h=3]ALBION V blackpool
[/h]saturday 20TH september, KICK-OFF 3PM

[h=3]ALBION V cardiff
[/h]TUESDAY 30th september, KICK-OFF 7.45PM

[h=3]Albion v middlesbrough
[/h]saturDAY 18TH october, kick-off 3pm

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here