Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who wore the number 16 shirt in 1983/4?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Who would have worn a number 16 shirt in 83/84 season? I thought that was still the days of one sub only, and we didn't have squad numbers then, did we?

image.jpg image.jpg

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 5, 2014
No 'Phoenix Brewery' sponsor ?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
We didn't have squad numbers so it's not like the shirt had a permanent owner. Although it's a player shirt (this can be told by the length of the shirt, which, as you probably know, is long than the replicas) I am guessing the shirt was not worn in an actual competitive game. In training, the Albion players had a habit of playing with numbers way above 14 on...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
We didn't have squad numbers so it's not like the shirt had a permanent owner. Although it's a player shirt (this can be told by the length of the shirt, which, as you probably know, is long than the replicas) I am guessing the shirt was not worn in an actual competitive game. In training, the Albion players had a habit of playing with numbers way above 14 on...

I know the club used to use the previous seasons kit as training kit, possibly an answer. Deffo a players shirt, embroidered badge and trefoil, no sponsor would normally suggest used for televised/recorded match for MOTD or The Big Match, but the number is the oddity.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
According to the historical football kits website that shirt was only "sponsored from October 1983".

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
According to the historical football kits website that shirt was only "sponsored from October 1983".

Tis true. The pre-season photos were all without a sponsor.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
I stand to be corrected, but at a rough guess, I would say squad numbers were introduced mid to late 90's?
Didn't the premier league introduce squad numbers around 1992 and the lower leagues followed a few years later. My guess is it was for pre season friendlies

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Didn't the premier league introduce squad numbers around 1992 and the lower leagues followed a few years later. My guess is it was for pre season friendlies

We then scrapped it under Liam Brady.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here