Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

International Matches

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Sorry if fixtures, but why are the international games all being played on different dates , instead of the usual Wednesday and Saturday.

It seems to be dragging out international week longer and we could have had club football back midweek if the games were played on a Saturday.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Pretty sure it was to try and attract a wider audience to the games, which could be taken as either UEFA looking to try and rebuild the prestige of international games against the never ending march of the club game OR it was dictated by tv companies.

Personally, I'm inclined to believe the first reason is actually more likely, I can't imagine demand for international match coverage is massive across Europe, with the exception of the respective home nation.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
It must be much more difficult for fans to attend the games if they're on a Monday night instead of a Saturday evening. Can only be due to tv companies , who are ruining football. There will be no 3pm Saturday games left soon!
The FA cup final this year was also at 5pm I think

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
They haven't been played on Saturdays for several years now, they moved them to Friday (which basically meant I had to give up following Ireland).

The argument at the time was that it meant players went back to their clubs a day earlier to prepare for the weekends' games, so Christ knows how they are justifying this now.

Helps me a bit as Ireland do have a couple of Saturday games and one Sunday lunchtime, but it's a TV market clearly. Saturday afternoon/evening should clearly be how it works, as international football by it's very concept involves travel, even for home games.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here