Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nathan Jones

Fountainhead

Jan 31, 2011
Herts
First - I expect a flaming if this has already been posted,and apologies to Seagulls Player subscribers that have already seen this but I have never quite been convinced by Nathan as a coach - don't get me wrong I have no axe to grind:- I thought he was a wholehearted player and have no particular reason to think he wouldn't give a hundred percent as a coach... but there was something I wasn't sure about but couldn't quite put my finger on....

Anyway, I was looking at the team of the week on the football league website, and watched Lewis Dunks goals etc but then it morphed in to Tony and the ice bucket and eventually Nathan being interviewed in Spain, pre- season.

I must admit, in spite of myself, I was impressed. A calm evaluation of the situation ( as was then) , reasons why he didn't follow Oscar, his love of the club and the alignment of his and Sami's philosophies.

Judge for yourselves, but unlike some, I don't see him as weak link.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/fe...eam-of-the-week-300814-310814_2293307_4113706 - Scroll done to Lewis Dunk and just let it play to Nathan via Tony Bloom

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I was always pro-Nathan but he does seem to have won over a few more fans with that interview, he comes across very well.

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
Agree. I admire anyone that sticks at a job through leadership change and proves the self for a second time. In this case he also has some blue and white blood in his veins. Maybe not totally, but I liked his words about keeping things simple.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Premier league players don't serve themselves :lolol:

All jokes aside,i have been a critic of Nathan in the past,my attitude having watched that is warming a little..

His heart is in it,he knows where his bread is buttered..

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Excellent

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
Adam Virgo was fulsome in his praise of Jones.Talked of what a good coach he was and how he had helped him and other apprentices,said he was always heavily involved and did far more than Charlie Oatway.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Premier league players don't serve themselves :lolol:

All jokes aside,i have been a critic of Nathan in the past,my attitude having watched that is warming a little..

His heart is in it,he knows where his bread is buttered..

Yes, feel exactly the same way.... Said all the right things :wink:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Feel we could come back better and stronger after this break with all of the players finally getting a good bit of training together.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Feel we could come back better and stronger after this break with all of the players finally getting a good bit of training together.

Very much so,good video was that and i agree,what with so many new faces time spent on the training ground really will help.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
If Othka Ga-theea, the ex Barcelona player, saw enough in Jones in one season to want him to follow him to Tel Aviv and Sami H, the ex-Liverpool star saw enough in him in a few months to want him as his No.2, two very different personalities, doesn't that tell you everything you need to know about Jones, and sweep any small minded preconceptions/prejudices to one side. If Jones comes across as ambitious/arrogant then good, maybe our club needs a bit of that to get where we want to be.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
If Othka Ga-theea, the ex Barcelona player, saw enough in Jones in one season to want him to follow him to Tel Aviv and Sami H, the ex-Liverpool star saw enough in him in a few months to want him as his No.2, two very different personalities, doesn't that tell you everything you need to know about Jones, and sweep any small minded preconceptions/prejudices to one side. If Jones comes across as ambitious/arrogant then good, maybe our club needs a bit of that to get where we want to be.

I agree,i will stand by my guns on many issues and i will also be the first to swallow my pride,stand up and fully declare and admit i was wrong and change my mind too.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Glad to see that our next manager is building a fan base.
His inevitable eventual appointment with Inigo Calderon as his number two should ensure a smooth transition when the time comes. :lolol:

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This place is so bizarre.

The Burkers spend the Summer moaning about transfers.
The Barberists spend their time moaning about money.
Bloom gets accused of arrogance.
Jones has plenty of people grinding axes.
Sami is currently on 'honeymoon' but we all know 3 consecutive defeats and the knives will be out.

Yet through it all we've had back to back play off places.
In a state of the art stadium.
The best training facility in the country.
Repeatedly the highest amount of attending fans.
The most progressive charitable concern.
A thriving junior section.
Financial compliance.

And yet it's still not enough.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Sami is currently on 'honeymoon' but we all know 3 consecutive defeats and the knives will be out.

Financial compliance.

Oh get on your bike!

Lovely posting btw StatBrother...:rotlf:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Great post there SB, just added my thoughts below...

The Burkers justifiably spend the Summer moaning about transfers. But most are now also justifiably happy with business done.
The Barberists spend their time moaning about money. Because nobody knows whether the FL will hold their ground on FFP, and our club and its supporters will be justifiably angered if the FL cave-in (like they tend to do).
Bloom gets accused of arrogance. Very silly people, I agree.
Jones has plenty of people grinding axes. He has, in the past, done himself no favours. But, hey, forgive and forget, Obika excluded, of course.
Sami is currently on 'honeymoon' but we all know 3 consecutive defeats and the knives will be out. Indeed, as with every other manager in the history of football.

Yet through it all we've had back to back play off places. Both culminating in humiliating playoff defeats, granted that fantastic achievements to get there in the first place.
In a state of the art stadium. Yes
The best training facility in the country. Yes
Repeatedly the highest amount of attending fans. Although the player recruitment delays mean we now have to win fans back this season.
The most progressive charitable concern. Yes
A thriving junior section. Yes
Financial compliance. TBC, but should be so, given the net profit on player sales/acquisitions.

And yet it's still not enough.The club say the target is Prem so, until that target is reached, they can expect a demanding fan base. One which they themselves have created through their oft-repeated PLR catchphrase, et al.

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
None of the Burkers were justified in slating him.

He was working to a timetable and it's widely believed he delivered, on time and on (possibly under) budget.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

Financial compliance.

Agree with the above and would add that what more people want is entertaining attacking football.

Gus loved a stylised performance but we always seemed to take our foot off the gas in the Championahip seasons (note able exceptions include Blackpool who were dire, Southampton who we had history with, and Palace when it all just clicked).

Oscar despite his desire to play attacking football it never materialised - injuries, squad depth etc but we couldn't muster much in the way of flair at any point in my eyes.

In Sami we appear to have a manager who has identified the key reason for this issue - slow transition - and is building a team capable of switching play extremely quickly.

This will win over fans, we go to be entertained, not to be bored and play percentage England style dull and ultimately easily outwit-able football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here