Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boxing Day travel advice

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I normally travel to the Amex by train from Brighton. On Boxing Day my son is coming to Brighton for what will be his first Albion game. If all goes well, he arrives at Gatwick at 12.25, probably out of the airport by, say, 1.00. Given the tightness of time and the reduced train service that day I plan to pick him up and drive to the game. After the game we have to get back on the road as quickly as possible so he can visit his Grandma before heading back to Gatwick.

I have made a search for a good summary of parking options and, although there is lots of discussion, can't figure out what is best.

Any suggestions / advice ?

Thanks for any help.

Jul 7, 2003
I normally travel to the Amex by train from Brighton. On Boxing Day my son is coming to Brighton for what will be his first Albion game. If all goes well, he arrives at Gatwick at 12.25, probably out of the airport by, say, 1.00. Given the tightness of time and the reduced train service that day I plan to pick him up and drive to the game. After the game we have to get back on the road as quickly as possible so he can visit his Grandma before heading back to Gatwick.

I have made a search for a good summary of parking options and, although there is lots of discussion, can't figure out what is best.

Thanks for any help.

Best bet is to try and book a parking pass at The Bridge as early as possible given the uncertainty of other arrangements. You can get out of the Bridge reasonably quickly after a match.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Thanks for any help.

Better hope that KO Isn't moved to 1pm

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Merry Christmas!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Best bet is to try and book a parking pass at The Bridge as early as possible given the uncertainty of other arrangements. You can get out of the Bridge reasonably quickly after a match.

I'd agree with the first bit, but not the second. If you do park at The Bridge, leave on the final whistle (if not before - yes, I know, I know...) and leg it to your car as quick as you can.

LowerWesty

LowerWesty
Aug 16, 2012
Hassocks
I'd agree with the first bit, but not the second. If you do park at The Bridge, leave on the final whistle (if not before - yes, I know, I know...) and leg it to your car as quick as you can.

This. The Bridge may not be the place to park if you need to get away quickly, unless you miss the last 10 minutes of the match.

The problem lies with the settings on the traffic lights under the flyover. I've been in touch with Paul and the guy responsible at the City Council. He is arranging a survey to see how, after a match, the situation can be improved. Hopefully there will be an improvement soon.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Maybe just park in Coldean ? Yes, I know it's now residents parking on match days but bear with me.

If I remember rightly Bridge costs £15 ? A parking ticket costs £35 if paid early. You're gambling with £20 for convenience and I doubt the wardens will be on duty on Boxing Day.

*** Awaits the inevitable flaming ***

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Maybe just park in Coldean ? Yes, I know it's now residents parking on match days but bear with me.

If I remember rightly Bridge costs £15 ? A parking ticket costs £35 if paid early. You're gambling with £20 for convenience and I doubt the wardens will be on duty on Boxing Day.

*** Awaits the inevitable flaming ***

Decent theory, however didn't they have Wardens out on Christmas Day in Brighton a few years back? I suspect those who run the parking enforcement arm of the council will see Coldean and Moulsecoomb as a potential cash cow on Boxing Day.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Do we actually know what trains will be running or is this rumour / made up?

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/winter-home-tickets-on-sale-tuesday-1891592.aspx

Meanwhile, the club is close to finalising travel arrangements for the Boxing Day game with Reading at the Amex - with a full travel plan to be publicised in due course.

Services will include the usual near-site parking options (advance booking is strongly recommended), a full park-and-ride service and Seagull Travel's full coach service from across the county. Click here for the full range of pick-up options.

In addition to a standard bank holiday, Boxing Day operation Brighton & Hove Buses will be running additional 25 services.

Southern Railways are also expected to be running a number of train services between Brighton and Lewes, with limited Boxing Day services on the London-to-Brighton line.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Decent theory, however didn't they have Wardens out on Christmas Day in Brighton a few years back? I suspect those who run the parking enforcement arm of the council will see Coldean and Moulsecoomb as a potential cash cow on Boxing Day.

They definitely have wardens out on Boxing Day. Seen loads of them out in the last few years.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions and discussion folks. We will not be leaving early , but will leave from WSU at the final whistle. Can anyone give a rough idea of how long it would take from leaving our seats to being out of the Bridge ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here