Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brian Clough

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
No. He left us in the lurch and more importantly he prohibited Wardy from playing in our biggest ever match. Nasty bloke, it would be good to forget him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nope but he did leave us Peter Taylor who started our surge up the league and gave us Peter Ward, so thanks for that.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
This month marks the tenth anniversary of Clough's death. Should we join with the Forest and Derby fans mentioned in this........
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/sep/06/brian-clough-10th-anniversary-death

Never entirely sure what I made of Clough's time with us although the Bristol Rovers game was comedy gold in its own way

As an aside, my Dad served his National Service as an RAF armourer in the early fifties at Watchet, Somerset.
Brian Clough was there at the same time and Dad played footie with him.
Dad said he was a big head even then:rolleyes:

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
On this topic, I read 'Provided you don't kiss me: 20 years with Brian Clough' by Duncan Hamilton a few years back. Twas an interesting read.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Read it myself on holiday last year, thought it was superb

Yeah, it was interesting from a local sports journalist's point of view. Clough's fractured relationship with Taylor and his problems with booze, which blighted the latter stages of his career. They don't make them like him anymore.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
As an aside, my Dad served his National Service as an RAF armourer in the early fifties at Watchet, Somerset.
Brian Clough was there at the same time and Dad played footie with him.
Dad said he was a big head even then:rolleyes:

Where Simmo?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I'm pretty sure the loan deal was cancelled before we even made the final, no?

Peter Ward mentions the final in his book.

Without running upstairs and finding Wardys book and looking up the section in the book about the final, I'm sure Clough said that he never played in a FA Cup final and neither will Ward.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm pretty sure the loan deal was cancelled before we even made the final, no?
Wardy said that he had the opportunity to stay at Brighton and play in the cup final. Clough maliciously, as he didn't want the player himself, stopped Wardy from doing that. Wardy is still, understandably, upset about that.

I'm not sure if it's mentioned in the book, I can't remember [MENTION=28056]bn9 bha[/MENTION], but Wardy said pretty much what you've quoted when he spoke at Burwash a couple of years ago.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Clough always strikes me as the kind of footballing figure I would have disliked intensely had I lived during his career. Nonetheless, he was a interesting man whose achievements have stood the test of time.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Wardy said that he had the opportunity to stay at Brighton and play in the cup final. Clough maliciously, as he didn't want the player himself, stopped Wardy from doing that. Wardy is still, understandably, upset about that.

I'm not sure if it's mentioned in the book, I can't remember [MENTION=28056]bn9 bha[/MENTION], but Wardy said pretty much what you've quoted when he spoke at Burwash a couple of years ago.
Thanks for the history!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I would go up and get the book but I'm watching Peter Kay on the TV:lolol:

I lost a bit of respect for Clough after reading Wardy's book.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here