Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smart TVs

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
Need to replace our TV and was initially thinking of either a Sony or Samsung 40/42” Smart TV, but a trip to Curry’s has not helped matters given the vast array of TVs out there and features and functions. The guy in the shop was pushing Sony (but may have been biased as said he worked for them), so would appreciate any views from NSC on performance of smart TVs, picture quality, sound Apps etc. Thanks

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I went to a house to work last week and I had to ask the customer about his TV as I was so impressed, it was a Samsung smart TV and the picture quality was amazing, he was very pleased with it.
Can't really give you any more details on it but if I was buying a new TV it would be this one.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We bought a Sony 42" about 6 months ago and I'm very happy with it. Picture quality is good, sound is decent enough. We have a Mac mini connected to the TV and generally, although we do tend to use the built-in Netflix, Amazon Prime video and iPlayer on the TV itself and it's fine.

Slight annoyances I have:

- When you turn the TV on, it's a short while - maybe 10-15 seconds - before you can do anything. I guess it is essentially booting up.
- It only has 2 HDMI ports and we need to connect the Mac mini, the blu-ray player and the Xbox 360 to it. This means we tend to have to switch between the Xbox and blu-ray. I just need to buy a little auto-switcher thing, but I haven't got round to it.

We did only spend around £500 from what I recall, so far from top of the line. I assume the more expensive models would be a bit faster and have more inputs.

To be honest, I don't think you can buy a bad TV nowadays.

dazzer6666

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Recently got an LG smart 3D TV. Wasn't the most expensive model on the market but very impressed with it (did much the same - wandered into Currys and it looked good). Automatically links to the LG sound system, have linked PC and various phones and tablets to it (love the pairing thing you can do with youtube, direct from a phone/ipad) and my lad found it brill for GCSE revision, watching online tutorials via the web. The 3D effects are great too.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If the price for a TV you're after is comparable between Currys and Richer Sounds it is worth signing up online with RS to be a VIP member and receive regular e-mails because that will entitle you to a free 5 year guarantee.

Ozziemate

May 7, 2013
Got a 48in Samsung 4k TV couple of weeks back. Picture quality is superb especially football in football mode. Although not much available in 4k right now, it enhances normal HD which IMO clearly has a difference. Apps are great depending on what you are into...... you tube which can be controlled from your phone and brought up onto the TV, Netflix, Amazon, most social media. They did an offer to throw in a Samsung multiroom speaker which was a nice sweetener. It all depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to use your TV for? (Gaming, films, social, smart device linking etc.).

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
We have recently purchased a samsung 48" 6400 series from John Lewis is brilliant. Samsung tv s are always to of the which reports at the moment. We took ages to decide on the size between 40 and 48 we had a 32" and we are pleased we went for the 48" it was £699.

You will almost certainly need to invest in a sound bar as well as the tv sound generally is pretty poor nowadays. We got a cheapest samsung using the Tesco double up vouchers and it's fine for our needs and is pairs automatically via Bluetooth with the tv

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Agree about Samsung generally, only thing I would add is due to the excellent, thin design the sound on most newer TVs is not great so look to invest in a Soundbar or separate sound system according to your taste if you want to give it some welly (assuming you're allowed to) at home.

loud-tv3.jpg

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
We bought a Sony 42" about 6 months ago and I'm very happy with it. Picture quality is good, sound is decent enough. We have a Mac mini connected to the TV and generally, although we do tend to use the built-in Netflix, Amazon Prime video and iPlayer on the TV itself and it's fine.

Slight annoyances I have:

- When you turn the TV on, it's a short while - maybe 10-15 seconds - before you can do anything. I guess it is essentially booting up.
- It only has 2 HDMI ports and we need to connect the Mac mini, the blu-ray player and the Xbox 360 to it. This means we tend to have to switch between the Xbox and blu-ray. I just need to buy a little auto-switcher thing, but I haven't got round to it.

We did only spend around £500 from what I recall, so far from top of the line. I assume the more expensive models would be a bit faster and have more inputs.

To be honest, I don't think you can buy a bad TV nowadays.
???

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Got a 48in Samsung 4k TV couple of weeks back. Picture quality is superb especially football in football mode. Although not much available in 4k right now, it enhances normal HD which IMO clearly has a difference. Apps are great depending on what you are into...... you tube which can be controlled from your phone and brought up onto the TV, Netflix, Amazon, most social media. They did an offer to throw in a Samsung multiroom speaker which was a nice sweetener. It all depends on how much you want to spend and what you want to use your TV for? (Gaming, films, social, smart device linking etc.).

Does the upscaling of a BluRay from 1080p or Sky HD to 4k resolution make the picture really stand out ? I'm still waiting for the prices to drop a bit further. If only the manufacturers could sort out 4k OLED before 8k comes along.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
My last tv was a Samsung and was brilliant, then one of the kids smashed a toy into it!

Now have a wall mounted, smart tv from Samsung which is superb.

Definitely go for a Samsung IMHO

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
We bought a Samsung 40" UE40D6530 a while ago and, despite it having some pseudo 3D that we don't bother with ( not a big fan of the 3D TV experience), the set is fantastic. Sound, picture, functions and look ( it is both thin and has narrow surround). Despite this we did invest in a Samsung Crystal Surround Air Track sound bar that also picks up on bluetooth enabling wireless Ipod play through it.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Strange question, with a smart TV do you need sky/virgin/ BT etc or can you just use your broadband to watch films etc via the internet ?

Reason I ask is my mate has a flat with no TV aerial no virgin etc but has broadband.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've got a Samsung smart telly and it's pretty good but all it seems to receive is crap like DIY SOS

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I do like the look of the Samsung curved 4k displays. Saw one in Currys last week and was very tempted to part with the 2k they wanted for it. Although I think the wife would have castrated me when I got back, I'd only gone to Tesco for a couple of pints of milk.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I bought a 47'' Lg 3d smart tv a couple of months ago and it's fantastic. Most LG's come with a magic remote, a but like a Wii controller which is amazing, you can talk into it and it will search the internet for you. Paid a little over £600 for the slighty higher spec one (better refresh rate, thinner etc)

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Go for a short throw Hd projector. 1 meter from the wall can project a 100" 1080p image. Can be found relatively easily for £600ish.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I have a 50" Panasonic, about 3 years old now. Not the best but still good. Things to look for are minimum 3 HDMI inputs (Sky DVD Games Box), Freeview HD tuner, Freesat HD tuner, Card reader (for playing back digital camera recordings), broadband input for watching BBC iplayer etc plus check it has the facility to watch video-on-demand services. Shop around for price. Become a Richer Sound VIP member and get free 5 year guarantee (I think).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here