Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What difference to football would a boycott of Sky make?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
There is a view that football has got to a ridiculous sitiation where there's just too much money involved. The premier league has had a negative impact on our national team and made attending matches unaffordable for many classes people who, in days gone by, could have afforded to attend. It has changed the dynamic of supporting and watching football. Some Players just don't have a clue what life is like for Mr and Mrs Average. There are fewer "locals" playing in teams.
What would be the impact of boycotting Sky, BT etc, and who would support going back to Match of the Day on a Saturday night with only an occasional live match? Do we really need so much footie on the telly?

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
There is a view that football has got to a ridiculous sitiation where there's just too much money involved. The premier league has had a negative impact on our national team and made attending matches unaffordable for many classes people who, in days gone by, could have afforded to attend. It has changed the dynamic of supporting and watching football. Some Players just don't have a clue what life is like for Mr and Mrs Average. There are fewer "locals" playing in teams.
What would be the impact of boycotting Sky, and who would support going back to Match of the Day on a Saturday night with only an occasional live match? Do we really need so much footie on the telly?

Its such a flawed argument that sky has caused the decay of our national side.

We where average before Sky, and since Sky has been around we have failed to get to 2 tournaments.

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
A boycott and protesting against the Premier League and what it stands for would be much more worthwhile.

Agree that sky aren't to blame, as much as I dislike them anyway!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Love the blame sky thing, if it wasn't them it would have been another company. The premier league was set up by the big boys to get more money, TV just helped that goal.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Sky are part of the problem. Too much say in when matches happen, too many live matches on TV. Too much money flowing from them to agents/players.

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
I am sure a protest against the premier league + SKY combined could gain a fair bit of support and media coverage quite quickly amongst real football supporters.

Would be interesting to see

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The best solution would be for the FA to refuse to sanction the Premier League to play in competitive football under their jurisdiction?

Do you think that will achieve anything?

The Big football league clubs would break away as well, leaving the FA more worthless than it already is

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
To much money's already involved for peasants like us to have a say.

The worldwide rights for ALL Bundesliga matches cost the same as the rights for the Premier League to be shown in:-

Singapore.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I am sure a protest against the premier league + SKY combined could gain a fair bit of support and media coverage quite quickly amongst real football supporters.

Would be interesting to see

Coverage from the tv channels bskyb own? Or coverage from the newspapers that they own?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sky are part of the problem. Too much say in when matches happen, too many live matches on TV. Too much money flowing from them to agents/players.

Didn't BT up the ante by paying even more than Sky did ? Ultimately, there will always be a company pumping big money in to The Premiership because there is a demand to watch it. If the demand did drop then fees would drop accordingly. The trouble is, there are just enough good,worthwhile matches that keep people hanging on to their subscriptions.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I couldn't afford Sky anyway with the prices they charge - MOTD & the football league programme is all I get but I enjoy it all the more for the fact I don't get swamped by too much football.

As much as I love the game I'd prefer to be out of an evening mountain biking as I was when the England game was on the other night. I might be getting old but to me there's more to life now and as the first poster said I can't relate to the primadonna's in the Premiership. Why should I stretch myself financially so they can buy their 4th house or umpteenth car?

If everyone boycotted SKY then it would have a massive impact IMO, but I think we're too far down the road for that to ever happen. People in my office literally go without food to pay for their Sky subscriptions - not for me!

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I couldn't afford Sky anyway with the prices they charge - MOTD & the football league programme is all I get but I enjoy it all the more for the fact I don't get swamped by too much football.

As much as I love the game I'd prefer to be out of an evening mountain biking as I was when the England game was on the other night. I might be getting old but to me there's more to life now and as the first poster said I can't relate to the primadonna's in the Premiership. Why should I stretch myself financially so they can buy their 4th house or umpteenth car?

If everyone boycotted SKY then it would have a massive impact IMO, but I think we're too far down the road for that to ever happen. People in my office literally go without food to pay for their Sky subscriptions - not for me!

Which was on ITV ???

Boycotting would have no impact as so much funding is from overseas TV

Stat Brother

Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As much as I love the game I'd prefer to be out of an evening mountain biking as I was when the England game was on the other night.
You'd have been better off watching the football :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here