Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quick rant on the video relased of motorcyclist who died on the A47 yesterday

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
I found myself unusually annoyed about this story when I saw the video this morning and then later hearing how BBC Radio 1 reported it really got to me. (I’m not going to post the video but you can easily find it yourself on google).

The news presenter said like ‘Video released of motorcyclist who was killed while travelling at 97 mph’

That statement automatically makes people think it was the bikers own fault and he shouldn’t have been going so fast. What people who watch the video will see however is an experienced capable motorcyclist travelling along a clear straight open road in good conditions and a speed he was comfortable with before a driver of a small car turns directly across his path leaving him no chance whatsoever.

I am a motorcyclist. I drive a car. I am firmly of the opinion here that the driver is at fault although I recognise that it could be argued that it may have been harder to see him due to his speed.

The car driver has ultimately been prosecuted for this and banned from driving for 18 months and given a community order, and rightly so IMO.

Therefore the news headline should be ‘Video released of motorcyclist who was killed after a diver turned into his path without looking’

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I found myself unusually annoyed about this story when I saw the video this morning and then later hearing how BBC Radio 1 reported it really got to me. (I’m not going to post the video but you can easily find it yourself on google).

The news presenter said like ‘Video released of motorcyclist who was killed while travelling at 97 mph’

That statement automatically makes people think it was the bikers own fault and he shouldn’t have been going so fast. What people who watch the video will see however is an experienced capable motorcyclist travelling along a clear straight open road in good conditions and a speed he was comfortable with before a driver of a small car turns directly across his path leaving him no chance whatsoever.

I am a motorcyclist. I drive a car. I am firmly of the opinion here that the driver is at fault although I recognise that it could be argued that it may have been harder to see him due to his speed.

The car driver has ultimately been prosecuted for this and banned from driving for 18 months and given a community order, and rightly so IMO.

Therefore the news headline should be ‘Video released of motorcyclist who was killed after a diver turned into his path without looking’

I would agree there is fault on both sides, but I don't think you can get away from the fact that he was going way too fast. He was seen travelling over the 'slow' sign on the road at 97 mph.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

The bold bit is the correct answer. It's tragic but there's never any occasion where going 97mph is required, regardless of what you are driving or your experience.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Maybe the car driver did not realise that the little black dot approaching was a motorcyclist doing nearly 100mph, when they were expecting oncoming traffic at about 65mph, maybe less.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It wasnt there when I started writing this due to taking lunch inbetween. But thanks for the snidey signpost. Mod feel free to merge, apologies.

Wasn't snidey at all, maybe you should have posted your lunch break in advance if you didn't want us just all thinking you were a LookAtMe tw*t.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Defend somebody riding at 100 mph (controlling with one hand) over the slow sign approaching a junction all you want.... its ridiculous but fee free.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Wasn't snidey at all, maybe you should have posted your lunch break in advance if you didn't want us just all thinking you were a LookAtMe tw*t.

TBH I also jump on people for duplicate threads but usually when they are days/weeks apart. Not within 30 mins of one another. I would say that is quite clearly an error and not a 'Look at me' thread, which I have never before written and never would.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

It's a horrendous accident, where both parties share some of the blame, to be honest. Yes, the driver should have paid more care and attention, but then, at the same time, if the motorcyclist was going anywhere near the speed limit, he might have been able to avoid the situation in the first place. Which is pretty much what his mum says in the video. It is a chance for those on both sides of the argument to appreciate each other a bit more, and think about the (potential) action they might take in that situation on the road.

Technically, what the newsreader said was correct, albeit sensationalised and possibly with the emphasis on the 'wrong' part of the story.

Interestingly, if it was the same circumstances, but a car-on-car collision, there probably would have been a different view taken...

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Maybe the car driver did not realise that the little black dot approaching was a motorcyclist doing nearly 100mph, when they were expecting oncoming traffic at about 65mph, maybe less.

The bold bit is the correct answer. It's tragic but there's never any occasion where going 97mph is required, regardless of what you are driving or your experience.

Defend somebody riding at 100 mph (controlling with one hand) over the slow sign approaching a junction all you want.... its ridiculous but fee free.

I feel my original argument of the way it has been broadcast has been lost slightly. It was that I was annoyed about, and I agreed that he was travelling above the legal limit.

However, the driver has been prosecuted demonstrating that he was a fault, however the media and now on here people are jumping on the speed of the motorcyclist as the fault. People drive at varying speeds on roads. You cannot assume that a vehicle will be going the speed limit, and should look properly.

Vegster you quote also seems to resemble someone who hasnt watched the video. He could have only been 40-50 yards or so when the car turned, certainly not far enough to be a "black dot"

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I feel my original argument of the way it has been broadcast has been lost slightly. It was that I was annoyed about, and I agreed that he was travelling above the legal limit.

However, the driver has been prosecuted demonstrating that he was a fault, however the media and now on here people are jumping on the speed of the motorcyclist as the fault. People drive at varying speeds on roads. You cannot assume that a vehicle will be going the speed limit, and should look properly.

Vegster you quote also seems to resemble someone who hasnt watched the video. He could have only been 40-50 yards or so when the car turned, certainly not far enough to be a "black dot"

Motorists have not been 'seeing' bikers for years, which makes it even more important for a biker not to ride his bike like a mentalist.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks

Only because the biker isn't around to be prosecuted or you can bet your life (as he did) that he'd be in the dock for speeding and dangerous driving offences too.

The problem I think you'll have in a thread like this is that while the vast majority drive cars, they don't ride motorbikes. I can imagine being the car driver and struggling to spot a motorbike (particularly one moving towards me at 100 mph). I find it much more difficult to relate to the bloke riding on a NSL A road at that speed. Just based on my own experience.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
The driver made a mistake, a stupid, careless mistake that cost another person their life and is now paying for it with a prison sentence and, presumably, living with their troubled conscience. I'm sure they didn't choose to be so careless.

The motorcyclist broke the law by intentionally travelling at a speed that allowed such a small margin of error that he paid for it with his life. He chose to be so careless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here